Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Difference of 350's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KrebsATM02, Jun 3, 2001.

1. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Difference of 350\'s

How does the TBI block differ from the older blocks. I was looking at the crate motors on scoggins dickey and there is a 600 dollar difference. Why can't i just put my TBI intake onto the older block???? Help me out here. I'm starting to rule out putting the LT-1 in. Seems like to much money and pain in the ass to do. Thank - Doug

Doug Krebs

2. 89Blazin

89Blazin 1/2 ton status

Re: Difference of 350\'s

I didn't know there was a difference. Sure the $600 isn't for the wiring harness and goodies too? Sure you were lookin at long block vs. long block and short block vs. short block prices?

85 Burb and an 89 Blazer
    One just for fun, one simply for pleazer

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Wow, I thought alot more people would have answered this one!

'86 the engine blocks changed to a one piece rear main seal and a drivers side dip stick, some other minor changes, but thats about it. One piece rear main seals are way better than the old two piece style. I -THINK- cyl heads will change over from year to year, check a perf. parts book and check for the brake in years.

In my opinion, I think you might be opening a can of worms with a LT-1 conversion. I don't know what you have in mind, but I do know the stockers run a reverse cooling sys. and the dis. is driven off the front of the cam, not the back. A crate engine might be different, I don't kow about that. Personaly, I'd stick with the tried and true!

Twiztid

4. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

After 86 the dip stick was changed to the driver's side?.. My 87's is on the passanger's side.. weird

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://billybob.coloradok5.com>http://billybob.coloradok5.com</A>

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Yeah, well what do you want from me? It was almost midnight when I replied to that. J/k

I'd like to make acouple of corrections,

I swear the dip stick changed sides, but I could be up in the night on that. It just seams like there was some kind of dip stick location change, But I'm not sure. Minor detail.

The brake point is 87 and up, not 86.

The cyl. heads will bolt on and interchange between years and styles. The difference between the 87 and up is the intake manifold bolt pattern and valve cover bolt changed to center hold downs.

Thats all the changes I can think of.

Twiztid

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Twiztid on 06/04/01 06:53 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

There are several differences. the 87 up block uses a 1 piece rear main seal. The dipstick is in a different position. there is no place to mount a fuel pump. Not a problem if you are using fuel injection. The heads are different in many ways. The center 2 bolt holes on each head are drilled at a different angle than the earlier carbed versions. These can all be over come, but you might spend more that the 600.00 difference to make it work. oil pans, valve covers, and some other pieces do NOT interchange. If you buy a reman engine, they do not come with sheet metal(covers and pan) You can take an earlier block and use the later heads on them, but you have to block off the fuel pump cover and oil pan and flexplate from earlier engine must be used. You may also run into problems with exaust manifolds. 70-80,81-86, 87 up are all different. 81-86 had a couple of designs. It can be done, but It might just be cheaper and less hassle to use the correct engine. I have had good luck with scoggin dickey in the past. I had bought a couple of crate LS7's when they still had jhem. Great customer service.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

bablazer73 said:
    "there is no place to mount a fuel pump. Not a problem if you are using fuel injection"

There are newer blocks out there that do have a mechanical pump provision... A couple mechanics told me it is about a 1 in 3 shot with the newer blocks. Mine doesn't have it, I wish i got one that did! So there are osme out there, but they are probably hard to find.

<font color=green>MIKE</font color=green> - "Hukd on fawnics,werkd fer me!"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

8. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I have never seen a newer block that was "stock" that had the fuel pump push rod hole drilled out. I was told that only the "bowtie" series block had a fuel pump set up. I know they are cast with the spot there, but never seen one drilled! Is there a car or truck that uses a mechanical pump after 87?

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

9. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I never saw a mechanical pump on the newer blocks either, but a few soruces told me they are out there(block with mechanical pump provision).. Come to think of it, I think my friends 89 Heavy half ton has the rpovision for a mechanical pump! i will double check with him.

<font color=green>MIKE</font color=green> - "Hukd on fawnics,werkd fer me!"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

10. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

My 89, which up until now I thought was original, has the provision cast into block, visiblly pluged even. My dipstick is on passenger side still. I have a 78 burb which has dipstick on driver side, real short, and is obviously carbed not FI. JFYI.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

11. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Dipstick changed from driver to pass. side in 1978. There are different exhaust manifolds, but all use the same bolt pattern except a couple of car manifolds that use the seventh bolt hole that is on the end on some heads.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

12. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

I just bought a crate motor (350HO 330hp) about 6 months ago from gm performance parts. I have an 85, so of course the new block had the different rear seal and such. It came with the newest vortec heads, which made my old intake / exhaust useless as well. It did however come with a casting that was drilled for a mechanical fuel pump. Although they recommended using an electric fuel pump, i just slapped on my older 120gph carter and fired her up.
    works like a charm.
    the TBI uses a different intake manifold than the older engines, and i'm not sure whether or not that will bolt up to older style heads, you'd have to check that before buying.
    --adam J herbert