Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Differences between a 241C and 241HD t-case?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rjfguitar, Nov 25, 2004.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I got to poking around under my dodge cummins today and noticed it has a 241HD transfer case. My '85 K5 has a 241 also and my question is what is the difference between the two cases? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif The housings look identical (besides it being driver side drop on my CTD and pass. on the K5). For fun.... how hard would it be to put 241 HD internals into a standard 241 housing? If it's possible of course. Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I highly doubt I would ever break my 241 in my K5 because I don't have enough HP or big tires but it's a fun thought and would like the knowledge. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the transfer gears and the chain as far as I know. And its easy to swap them over, just transfer the gears and chain. I really should do it to my 241.

3. rjfguitar

How much stronger is the HD model?

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I don't know much about the difference but Rob (TheRobZilla) says the 241HD in his Dodge CTD takes a special gear oil, not ATF like a standard 241. Says it is only available at the Dodge dealer and is pretty $$$.

Harley

5. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

isnt the 241 rated to 5000 lb ft of input torque, or something like that? whats the point?

edit: according to NVG's website, they are both rated at 5,555 lb ft of torque (input). the HD weighs 20 lbs more, and takes 0.8 more pints of oil. I guess having HD after everything would make your truck cooler? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't know much about the difference but Rob (TheRobZilla) says the 241HD in his Dodge CTD takes a special gear oil, not ATF like a standard 241. Says it is only available at the Dodge dealer and is pretty $$$.

Harley

[/ QUOTE ]Ohh crap.... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

There is a difference in the H.D. 241 cases . The obvious difference is that the true H.D. cases have a P.T.O. provision and a magneseum(sp) front half of the case material along with a HUGE rear output-shaft. I have read that it also uses a wider sprocket and chain combo but I have not verified that yet for myself .
    I have a H.D. 241 in my pull truck and it uses ATF ( I switched to Red-Line products though ) . Mine has a 1-1/2" 29 spline input because of the NVG-5600 in front of it .
    One thing to be aware of is that N.P went through numerous changes in the H.D. 241 case's through the years and not all are equal - the later stuff id the most refined.
    HTH, Tom
    Note: As far as I know the internals can not be swapped in a regular case - there is no room for the extra length on the mainshaft because of the P.T.O. splines to fit in the standard case.

8. rjfguitar

SO what is mine behind my auto? A true HD? /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

9. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

It can be , the best way to tell is the P.T.O. provision. The H.D. 241 was an option on the BR2500's and standard on the BR3500's reguardless of what tranny the truck had .
    The auto's will have the 23 spline input and the NVG 4500/5600's will have the 29 spline input on the transfer case .
    To the best of my knowledge if you ordered a "Snow Plow Prep Package" on a 1994 to 2002 BR2500 you got the H.D.241 or it could come as a seperate option if ordered that way.
    I recieved a $180.00 credit on my truck when I ordered the Plow pkg. and the HD transfer case - Diamler claimed the snow plow prep pkg. included the HD transfercase option and adjusted it on my build spec. sheet at the time of order .
    Tom

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Harley

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, thats the same stuff thats supposed to go in an NV4500. ATF works fine.

11. rjfguitar

Where should I be looking on the tcase for a PTO output?

12. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

On your Dodge it will be on the passenger side and it will be very obvious - the same cover deminsions as the P.T.O. covers used on 465's and 203 & 205's .
    I'll try and get a picture of mine for you but it might take a while ( I'll need to borrow a digital camera - I am just not up to date with technology /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif).
    Tom