Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Differences between lifts.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by monte0172, Mar 24, 2003.

1. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Hey everyone I have decided, after much debating and finally finding an excuse, to lift my blazer. (The left front spring bushing is worn to the point of shifting inside the perch causing sloppy steering!!!) My ultimate goal is to be able to run 38's but still be able play in the mud which is no big deal but i also have friends that do mild rock climbing and such. What im wondering is how much more stuff am i gonna have to change between using a 6" suspension lift and an 8"? I know all the standard stuff like lengthen the driveshafts and drop the transfer case and new steering pitman arm but how drastic is the difference between the two? Anyhelp would be great thanks,

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've got a 6" lift and am go 38" Ground Hawg radial tires. I'll have to trim my fenders, but that's no big issue. If you're not opposed to triming your fenders, Eith 4" or 6" suspension lift is a good choice.

3. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Drive line angles will be the kicker. with a 6" you're normally ok with some shims on the spring perches.

With an 8" you're getting into the neighborhood of needing a CV joint rear drive shaft and would be better off relocating the spring perches instead of shims.

4. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Thats what I was afraid of. I was leaning tward the 6 for that very reason. I would however like somemore opinions if anyone has any.