Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Differences between NP208 and NP241? *edited*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Danno, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

What are the differences between an NP208 and NP241 transfer case?

I found out tonight that AAMCO switched transfer cases on me when I had the truck in for a T-case rebuild last September. I noticed I had a leak AGAIN out of the rear bearing on the T-case, and when I looked closer, realized it wasn't my old T-case!

Just want to find out if I should try to get an NP208 back from them, or just rebuild the NP241 on my own (I have a garage now!).

2. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Re: Differences between NP208 and NP261?

Dan

It sounds like maybe they pulled a fast one on you. I dont know much about the 261 - maybe you got lucky. But either way, it seems like they are legally obliged to at least tell you that they swapped cases, if not actually get your permission. No doubt if you confronted em about it, they probably have a clause somewhere in their fine print which authorizes them to swap little things like transfer cases, in addition to the ownership of you your first and third born children.

Just my $0.02.

Ben

3. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

No, I was told they were reusing my old case more than once, so I know they've screwed up here.

From what I've been able to find, it sounds like the NP261 is identical to the NP208, it's just in newer trucks. Still aluminum case, sounds like the same 4Lo ratio, etc. Anyone know if it's a better T-case than the NP208, or is it worse?

Ugh... And it's leaking out the rear bearing. Stupid AAMCO.

4. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What are the differences between an NP208 and NP261 transfer case?

I found out tonight that AAMCO switched transfer cases on me when I had the truck in for a T-case rebuild last September. I noticed I had a leak AGAIN out of the rear bearing on the T-case, and when I looked closer, realized it wasn't my old T-case!

Just want to find out if I should try to get an NP208 back from them, or just rebuild the NP261 on my own (I have a garage now!).

[/ QUOTE ]

The only NV261 came in the New Chevy HD's which had a driver side output. So I don't think that yours is a 261. I am going by are sig. If it was a 1984 it should be a 208 T/C.

5. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

It should be an NP208, and it WAS an NP208, but I crawled under my truck tonight to get a closer look at my rear bearing on the T-case, and I could have sworn it said NP261 for the model. I'll look again after work tomorrow...

Ugh.

6. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that what you have is an np241, not a 261. I have never heard of a 261. anyways, the 241 can be compared to the 208 in this way: it's a 208 with better oiling. it's pretty much the same t-case with a different housing (large ribbed cast aluminum tailhousing).

-Scott

7. bigbluek20

bigbluek20 1/2 ton status

Probably is the 241. Would be from 88-89 if it still has the mechanical speedo on it (I think 90 was the switchover to VSS).

As Scott said, it is basically a 208. It has much better lubrication and also has a 2.72:1 low range instead of the 2.61:1 in the NP208. Takes about a quart less fluid than the 208.

It is a bolt in and even has the same gasket rebuild set as the NP208. What I discovered after swapping a 241 in was that the breather tube on it (towards the front of the unit on top) would spew fluid out if it didn't have a breather tube leading upwards (that was my observation of the improved lubrication!). Something you may want to check!

Leaks aside, I would say it is a preferable unit... and you can get a SYE for it!

8. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

I didn't have time to crawl under the truck tonight, and I'm bowling tomorrow night.

It does have the mechanical speedo cable. It looked like my leak was from the rear bearing, but I'll check and see what the situation is with that breather. Maybe it's coming from there!

Thanks for the info guys... Two years into owning this K5, I'm still cutting my teeth on basic 4x4 knowledge.