Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Differences between trucks and blazers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cj7jeep81, Dec 4, 2003.

1. cj7jeep81

cj7jeep81 1/2 ton status

I tried searching, but no luck. I am wanting to lift my '78 K10 and have been searching here for ideas on lift amount/tire height, etc. Granted this is a K5 site, so most of the info is for K5s. Is there much difference in the suspension, fenders, etc. between a K5 and a K10?
    In other words, if a lift and fender trimming would work for a K5 with certain sized tires, would the results be similar for a K10?

Thanks in advance.

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

exactly the same /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif 73-87 pickups and 73-91 Blazers and Subs

3. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Mechanically they are almost identical. The only real difference is the truck has a slightly longer wheelbase, 3 inches or something like that. And the trucks seem to have gotten slightly beefier parts some years.

Other than that the differences are mainly cosmetic, and still there's very few. Anything you see on this site should work with the K10.

That's the great thing about these vehicles, everything is interchangable! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

To add to this post does that mean that a 77 3/4 ton drivetrain will bolt uo underneath a 71 blazer? I hope because I am doing it soon and the easier the better.

Hope i didnt steal your post

5. cj7jeep81

cj7jeep81 1/2 ton status

Thanks!! That's what I was thinking, but wanted to make sure. seventyk5, you didn't steal my post, I found out what I wanted to know! Hopefully someone can answer your question, as I don't know.

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I think the rear spring perches are different. Narrower or something.

7. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

It's my understanding that the 1-ton stuff is a direct bolt up to the Gen 1 K5s; however, the 3/4 ton stuff has wider spring perches. That's not to say that you can't grind em off and well new ones on.

8. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

thanks

9. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    does that mean that a 77 3/4 ton drivetrain will bolt uo underneath a 71 blazer?

[/ QUOTE ]

It almost bolts up. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I did almost exactly the same thing, except I have a '71 Suburban. You will need to move the rear spring perches. The '77 14BFF will have perches that are 42.5" apart (center to center). You will need to make them 40" apart. You will also need to move the shock mounts so you can bolt up the shocks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've got a /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif and now I'm looking for a /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif Not everyone here has /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif.

11. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I thought only the 2wd 14b had to be modified. Guess Ill be breaking out the torch, grinder, and welder for this one. Oh well. Maybe ill build my cage while I have them all out.

12. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I thought only the 2wd 14b had to be modified.

[/ QUOTE ]

14BFF 3/4 ton 2wd & 4wd spacing: 42.5"
    14BFF one ton 2wd & 4wd spacing: 40.5"

Your '71 4wd spacing: 40.0"

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Where in Indiana are you? There are several of us Hoosiers on here now! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. cj7jeep81

cj7jeep81 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Where in Indiana are you? There are several of us Hoosiers on here now! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I live in south-eastern Indiana (small town of Osgood). I am about half-way between Indy and Cincy.

15. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've got a /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif and now I'm looking for a /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif Not everyone here has /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

I started with a /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif and now I have 2 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif. Be careful, they multiply!