Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Differences in LT1 vs. LS1 vs. GenII III IV V etc.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Leadfoot, May 22, 2002.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I know the LT1 and LS1 are SBC but is it like a FI, TBI, TPI, MPI thing and the BBC have Gen#'s, anybody have a reference or know what differentiates each.

Thanks, just trying to add to my knowledge base.

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

LT1 is like our motors. The standard SBC. Cept the LT1 uses a cam driven water pump. But still "pretty much" the same. The standard SBC. The LS1 is a whole new critter. Aluminum block and heads, 6 bolt cross bolted mains, I read somewhere the cams are rifle drilled, and the heads are completly different. Nothing interchanges w/ our motors. Twiz will prob be much better at explaining all the differences than myself. The BBC gen#s I am not super familiar w/. I think some of the gens are 1 piece rear main, different cooling, Stuff like that.

3. 1Blazin71

1Blazin71 1/2 ton status

LT1 is also reverse cooled, and has that opti-spark timing controlled from the crank at the front.

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The LT1 ('90s version) is what is called the Gen II small block. The LS1 (aluminum block), and the new 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0 (iron block) truck motors are all Gen III family small blocks. The Gen II motor had only minor differences from 1st generation small blocks (55 and up), the reverse cooling being the biggest difference. The Gen III motors have no parts in common with the Gen I and II small blocks. It is a completely new design.