Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Differences in manual hubs and auto hubs????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by backyardbuilt, Oct 8, 2002.

1. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I have taken apart many manual hubs I am showing a friend how to do it this weekend and he has auto hubs is there any difference when taking them apart. Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Only difference is the procedure: take auto hubs off, discard all components, replace with manual hubs : )

They are quite a bit different inside actually, and if you can, seriously, at least go get some stock used Spicer hubs out of the 'yard.

I don't even wheel hard, but those auto hubs give you an excuse to swap to manuals the FIRST time you even think about removing the cover on them.

My'83 had auto hubs, after being cleaned, inspected, greased, re-installed, and exercised, they decided at the only point I ever really needed them, to fail. I was lucky I was able to get out of the creek, and lucky I didn't break something spinning the driveshafts at 3000RPM when they *finally* locked in.

3. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Definately get rid of them....auto hubs are barely even good enough for spares. I was using some (as spares) on my D60 and they not only got me stuck on a bad hill (thank you to Ramsey winch co for getting me to the top)but twisted the splines on my stub shafts too. Auto's are JUNK. Manuals are too cheap to not have. I prefer Spicer or Warn Premium.

4. backyardbuilt

He is getting a new axle eventually so this one has to do for now so I just need to know if there are differences I should be aware of When taking apart the manual hubs.

5. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I still have the stock auto's on my truck, and let me tell you they suck! If my truck is on pavement with the hubs locked it hops and skips cause the hubs are junk, they also pull like a SOB when they are locked. I wish i had the money to get manual hubs.

6. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

The design is different, but if you can take manuals apart you can take the autos apart. When they go back in, they have to line up just right with the lock ring. You'll see when you take them apart. If he's getting a 60 front, I have some brand new hubs to sell him.

7. backyardbuilt

Thats what I though Just figured with al the knowing people on here I would ask seems stupid not to I think he found a d44 with locker and crossover with chro-mo shafts for 400$.