Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Differences in NP205 shifters.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Leadfoot, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just purchased (from another forum) a new style NP205/TH400 adapter (round pattern). I also purchased a new style NP205 from a member on this forum (I will thank him as soon as he notifies me everything is cool on his end). The only thing I have not gotten is a shifter for it. I have not received the adapter yet but I was sent pictures. It looks like my current shifter TH350/NP205 shifter will bolt right to it, but I wanted to ask if anybody can confirm/deny this.

Thanks.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[​IMG]

Top is a 1991 shifter from a 4L80E/205 combo, bottom is a 70's 465/205 combo.

From what I can tell, the difference in shifter is based on the length of the transmission/adapter. Since the 32 spline 465 used longer output shafts than earlier, the +3" that was built into the adapter set the shifter back further.

Because 1985+ 205 would have had ONLY the TH400 or 465 in front of it, and later the 4L80E, the adapters were probably designed so that the shifter was in the same location for either one, to keep from having different floor pans based on transmission, just a shifter change instead. The two shifters pictured above are definitely different as you can see. I had to bend the early one towards the driver to fit my '86 floor pan (seems like that was a fluke according to most) but the later one, even with the 3" longer adapter, bolted right in and does not hit the floor pan.

I had never heard of the difference in shifters until I had to deal with it, so I'm not sure if there is much more documentation on this. GM COULD have used a different shifter for say a 400/205 combo in 1981, and a 350/205 combo form 1980 though, plus the 1985+, I just don't know.

Clear as mud? :)

3. Leadfoot

Clear as mud :grin:

I guess the biggest thing is the physical mounting. I took my shifter from my TH350/NP205 combo and cut it (welded in an offset piece) to use for my 700r4/NP205 combo as it was longer and moved the shifter too far back (without mods). I was thinking of using it for my 4L80/NP205 combo, but was wondering if it will physically bolt on to the adapter (as I do not have a shifter yet). My buddy is a tinman and can weld, and my father works at a machine shop so modifications are easy if the TH350/NP205 shifter will physically bolt to the later style TH400/NP205 adapter (less machining as I will not have to start from scratch).

Does that make sense (it does to me, but I don't always get my thoughts into words well)...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2005
  4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Bolt is the same for all years (just with zerk or no) so yeah, should bolt up fine.

5. Leadfoot

6. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

Not necessarily true. I had to replace the adapter in my jeep (465/205) and the bolt for the shifter was different between the two adapters.

The new adapter I had took a 9/16" bolt with a zerk, the old adapter I replaced was smaller (not sure of the size) and had no zerk.