Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Different 10 bolt backing plates?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88K5Jimmy, Apr 25, 2003.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Are there different styles of backing plates on 10 bolt rear axles, where the backing plate attaches to the axle? The bolt holes on my 88 backing plate are in a rectangular pattern. Were any in a square pattern? If so what are the center bolt hole to center bolt hole measurements, vertically and horizontally?

Thanks

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The only 10 bolts that MIGHT be perfectly square are the 2000 or so trucks, but I can't remember. If you search for rear disk posts going back a year or so, there might be one I posted about that setup, as I'd have liked to swap the rear disks off of one of those trucks to ours, but they don't have the same flange bolt pattern.

To date, I've found no axle that shares the truck 10/12 bolt flange, and even if it did (say a car axle) it wouldn't make a whole lot of difference, as the truck 10/12 bolt axle tubes are bigger than cars. Most cars and trucks used a 4 bolt rectangular pattern (at least GM) but the hole spacing always seems to be different. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I know the 92-up K1500 Suburbans use a 10-bolt rear with a different flange to accept the larger backing plate for the 11" drums. 88-up K1500 trucks only got 10" drums with the 10-bolt.