Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Different carbs for more power on the Sand.... holley, barry grant, carter?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Silver84k5, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Im prolly gonna go with the Holley 750 double pumper, with the proform metering block, but i was Curious who has expirience with any of the barry grant carbs, or a carter...? just fishin for info... Thx.

This carb will be on a 383, 202 heads, 9.5 comp, edelbrock Air gap intake. (ill get the cam specs later)

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: Different carbs for more power on the Sand.... holley, barry grant, car

[ QUOTE ]
    Im prolly gonna go with the Holley 750 double pumper, with the proform metering block, but i was Curious who has expirience with any of the barry grant carbs, or a carter...? just fishin for info... Thx.

This carb will be on a 383, 202 heads, 9.5 comp, edelbrock Air gap intake. (ill get the cam specs later)

[/ QUOTE ] If you like the Holley, look into the Demon Carb line from Barry Grant. I rally like the Demon carbs. Don't know how they'd do off road, wouldn't think they'd be any worse the a Holley. But if you sand running, the Demon should be good. But then again, I've never done any sand running, so I'm guessing.

3. jhama78

jhama78 Registered Member

I have a holley 4150 750 vac secondary with the pro form main body on the 383 in my mud bogger and like it a lot... my engine specs are:

@ 9.5:1 compression... 882 heads with 1.94 1.60 valves (thats not a misprint it has big ex valves) and a weiand xcelorator intake with 2 inch open spacer...... cam specs are .512 lift 230@50 duration.....

take it easy

-j-rOd

4. Silver84k5

thx for responses.

ttt... anyone else.

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I'm running a 650 Speed Demon on my 'cuda. Doesn't see much trail use /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif, but it is awesome on the street.

I was running a 625 Road Demon on the blazer, but I was having trouble on steep uphill climbs with lots of bumps. It with bog real bad everytime I hit a bump, but it never died. Other than that I really liked. I was missing all the tuning features the demon has when I was re-installing the q-jet.

If you're not doing any rough rocky trails, I would highly recommend the Demon. I can feel a performance difference after taking it off the blazer.

Course this is going to make all the above seem like a huge sales pitch, but I do have the Road Demon for sale . /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

EDIT: I was just looking over the specs you posted and my carb may not be big enough. If you call Barry Grant's tech line with all you specs, they can recommend a carb for you. Do keep in mind that a 625 Demon is roughly the equivalent of a Holley 750.

6. Silver84k5

well i just want a Hi Perf carb for the dunes, then ill slap the Quadrapuke on there when i hit the trails... I Dont think it would be too much of a pain to swap carbs depending on the wheeling im gonna do.

Although come to think of it the dunes are bumpy as hell sometimes........ Id really like more info on the Proform Metering block in the holley double pumper in the 750 flavor. and how it does over bumps... I know a guy who runs just the double pumper and ive seen him pretty steep without much trouble if any..... just fishin for more info i guess.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think overall your engine will make more power and have better off road performance with a Quadrajet. Having had both that and an aftermarket carb on mine I'd never go for an aftermarket....it's Q-Jet only for me, the one stock part that works great on our rigs.

8. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you're going to run anything with vacuum secondaries run the Quadrajet.

Otherwise, get a Demon. Demon carbs suffer what the others do... run out of fuel at WOT going uphill with bumps. There's no sense in buying another carb for the sand if it doesn't have mechanical secondaries.

9. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the one stock part that works great on our rigs

[/ QUOTE ]
    Are you serious?!? /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif It works good but i can think of lots of other stuff on my rig tha works "great"

10. Silver84k5

dude ive been been told by reputable sources that these quadrajets, Although a good carb for wheelin, Are robbin us blind of horsepower.......

11. CyberSniper

[ QUOTE ]
    dude ive been been told by reputable sources that these quadrajets, Although a good carb for wheelin, Are robbin us blind of horsepower.......

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're running a stock one out of a 120hp 305 from 1986 Delta 88 complete with computer controls on a roller 400 SBC then yeah, it's probably robbing you of a wee bit of power. But those that know how to tune them... hard to beat a Quadrajunk.

I managed to get 190hp@5600 to the ground out of my 305... that Quadrajet must be raping the performance meter... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

they dont run outa fuel, they overfuel badly
    motor doesnt care what mixes the fuel, long as it is in the best proportions and mixed well

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    the one stock part that works great on our rigs

[/ QUOTE ]
    Are you serious?!? /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif It works good but i can think of lots of other stuff on my rig tha works "great"

[/ QUOTE ]

Like what?

I can't really think of much of anything stock on my rig except the carb.

14. mrk5

[ QUOTE ]
    motor doesnt care what mixes the fuel, long as it is in the best proportions and mixed well

[/ QUOTE ]
    Right, what I think was happening was that the fuel was sloshing out of the primary float bowl through the bowl vent onto the primary butterflies. I may have been able to mitigate this some by lowering the float level.

I can say this, there was a definite seat of the pants difference in performance after replacing the demon with the q-jet. I'm not going to argue that the q-jet is better offroad, I agree that it is. But the Deomon is a better performance carb if it is tuned as they recommend.

Here is a very good explanation of why the Demon is better. Demon 101

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I disagree, my truck runs great with an 800 CFM Q-jet and I can't imagine a mech secondary carb that big having any place on a truck.

You guys are trying to re-engineer something that worked great on our trucks from the factory.

16. mrk5

Were you replying to me or CyberSniper? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The Speed and Road Demons I've been talking about are 650 & 625 respectively. They are also vacuum secondaries.

The site I linked refers to a 750 with mechanical secondaries, but the theories apply to all Demon carbs.

If you are replying to me, which I think you are according to the reference at the top of the post, I agree the 750 Mighty Demon referred to on the site would indeed not be a good choice.

17. jhama78

jhama78 Registered Member

Ive never had a problem with my carb flooding or sloshing and I run it in a pit that is 200 feet long with two jumps in it.... I put spring loaded needle and seats in it and connected the two vent tubes with a piece of fuel line with a small slit cut in the top...... heres a few pics....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

try climbing something for a good length of time
    the fuel in the primary float bowl ends up higher then the main discharge nozzle and begins to gravity feed.
    there is no cure for that
    at wide open throttle the motor will pass the fuel but sometimes finess is needed

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I disagree, my truck runs great with an 800 CFM Q-jet and I can't imagine a mech secondary carb that big having any place on a truck.

You guys are trying to re-engineer something that worked great on our trucks from the factory.

[/ QUOTE ] For high speed wheeling, I tend too agree on the Demon carb But for low speed with lots of off camber, I'd think a Q-jet would be best. Tim, what you fail too understand is that not everybody does the same type of wheeling that you do. What I'm doing, a Q-jet works great for me. But for the high speed things like Desert racing, I'd defently go with a Demon carb. I don't know much about sand running, but I assume it's a higher speed thing then crawling.

20. CyberSniper

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Due to float shape mine runs out of fuel. As long as the terrain isn't rough it'll stay running. However, if the truck bounces while taking a steep hill the float shuts off the fuel and she stumbles. At WOT up a hill on a steep street I can run out of fuel as well. It's even worse since I have an underhood heat problem which causes the small amount of fuel in the float bowl to boil sometimes.