Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Different flywheel tooth counts?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Russell, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I just finished putting the NV3500 in behind my 6.2L diesel, got my shifter & boot figured out, installed the master cylinder and otherwise got it as far as I could before my clutch pedal shows up and I find a new 32 spline t-case.

Since I'd gotten it to a point where it could start and run, I figured I'd do so just for the fun of it. Hit the ignition, let it glow, hit the starter and the engine attempted to make a slight turn then froze solid. The bendix is engaging, and you can hear that the starter is still trying to turn, but is being held up. The starter worked flawless before I did the standard trans swap, so the only thing I can think of is that the flywheel is a different toothcount than the flex plate used to be.

Please tell me I'm right, and that all I need to fix it is a new starter!

2. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

Nope. All 6.2's and 6.5's use 139 tooth flywheels & flexplates. Your problem lies elsewhere...

3. Russell

Sweet deal!

I know the enigne is free, as I turned it over by hand just a few hours before I tried cranking it. Means the problem has to be the starter. I've got a spare one I'll pop on and see what happens :)

4. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

If the other starter has the same problem you may need to shim it down a bit. It might be engaging the flywheel too close and binding up...

5. Russell

Yep, thats the problem. Way too close actually, enough so that the bendix won't engage the flywheel at all without significant prying force... Bad enough that I am wondering if it is a problem with the flywheel and not the starter. Both starters worked great with the flexplate that it had before without any shimming at all.

I'm gonna go fiddle around with it and see what I can do

6. hobie237

hobie237 Registered Member

May I ask if you got this sorted out? It may be information that proves useful when I go for the 465 in my truck.

7. Russell

Yeah, Napa screwed up on the flywheel. They think it was a factory freak, cause the number matched a 6.2L flywheel, and it did bolt on, but the ring gear was a 163 tooth unit for a gasser. Got a flywheel for a 6.5L instead and bolted it on. Didn't find out till afterwards that I should have stuck with the 6.2L unit as the 6.5L solid flywheels have their own special (and friggin expensive!) clutch disc.

8. hobie237

hobie237 Registered Member

Awesome- thanks for the follow-up!