Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Different key for the rear window? Replace lock cylinder?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Grizz84, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Grizz84

Grizz84 Registered Member

I was just wondering if i had a broken lock cylinder or is there a whole different key for the rear glass that i don't have. Neither my ignition or door key will work and its an electric window so if it burns out im screwed. How hard is it to change the lock cylinder out in the tailgate or is it even possible?

2. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

It is possible. You may be able to save some money by removing the whole assembly and taking it to a locksmith. It can be re-keyed. Have you tried powder graphite (sp?) in the lock. I was having problems with mine until I sprayed some in the cylinders.

Does the window still work from inside?

3. Grizz84

Yeah it still works with the switch, i just wanted to be able to use the key incase it ever gets stuck. So is it suppose to work off the door key or the ignition key....because i put a new ignition switch in the truck and i can't remember what i did with the original key. It makes more sense to me though that it would work off the door key. I can't get either key to even slide in the cylinder, im wondering if the pins could be frozen down and not letting the key slide in.

4. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

The pins could be corroded. I just replaced my manual cylinder cple months ago. A new cylinder is like $20 from stealership. I don't remeber if I keyed it from ign or door key.

A mobile lock company will probably charge serious $$$ if they have to come out and do it.

I would try graphite first just to make sure. My door locks were "frozen" until I used graphite.

5. Grizz84

Thanks for the help, i'll try some graphite tomorrow. If that still doesn't work i'll try a little PB blaster in there.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I just went through this during the week. I've got a power tailgate from an '88 K5 that I installed on my '75 K5. The key was missing... :( To remove the switch you have to take the entire tailgate apart. :mad:

Open the tailgate and remove the inner panel. Unbolt the brackets at the bottom of the glass, that hold the glass to the regulator. CAREFULLY remove the glass (a helper is pretty handy at this step!) Next, remove the regulator assembly. It's held to the gate with 4 small bolts. (You may have to run the regulator up or down a bit to get to all 4 bolts. You can attach a drill to the motor end of the regulator drive cable for this). Unbolt the regulator assembly and then slide it out towards the passenger side. You'll need to unhook the drive cable from the motor to get the regulator out.

Now you can finally get to the two small nuts that hold the switch and housing in place. The wiring connector is held in place by a push nut. Carefully pry side to side and it will slowly walk its way up off of the post. Next, gently pry the connector straight off the back of the switch.

Remove the spring clip that holds the switch assembly into the rectangular housing and then take the switch to the locksmith. They took mine apart and made 2 keys for it in about 10 minutes. Cost $24. :cool1:

Have fun putting it back together... :doah: ;)

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you buy a new lock cylinder from the dealer and you already have your old one out they may be able to key it for you for a small fee or even free since you just bought the part from them, i know the dealership here can do this because i had them do it for me once already. I however do know the guys there since i do work for them so maybe that helped me.

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I was able to do mine by unbolting the glass , and leaving it rolled up and supported by my stepladder , and just unbolting the mechanism and moving it it enough to get those damn screws :thumb:

My original keyset was ignition/doors + console + glovebox/tailgate , 3 different keys .

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The glass was already broken in this tailgate, so I just yanked everything out and cleaned and lubed it while it was apart. :(

10. Grizz84

Thanks for that info man, i was kind of wanting to know ahead of time if i do have to replace the cylinder and thats a pretty good step by step. I haven't tried lubing it up yet, i hope that will fix it...i have my doubts though. Im thinking its going to be a different key. Too bad they couldn't do things like the do now back then and just have one freaking key do everything.