Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

different kind of axle swap question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gmcsrgr8, Nov 21, 2002.

1. gmcsrgr8

gmcsrgr8 Registered Member

Due to the fact that my 10 bolts are officially unfit for safe travelling, I will need to finally install the axles that I have rebuilt. My problem is that I live in a frozen winter not so wonderland. My "garage" is very small, I think I have about a foot (maybe two feet, if I clean the junk out) of space on each side of my Jimmy. For those of you who have done this swap, is this going to give me enough room? what are some other options, or should I forget the new axles that I spent so much time rebuilding and get my 10 bolts working again? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Do one end at a time. Pull your truck 1/2 way in the garage, do the front, pull it out, turn it around, back it in 1/2 way again, and do the rear. Crank up the gas heater !!!!!! Thats my thoughts.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

It's not so bad a job. If your using axles that are a dirrect bolt in and don't run into any fun stuff like rusted U-bolts (just buy new and cut the old ones off) your talking about 2 hours with a friend helping on each axle taking your time. It's 8 bolts holding the axle to the springs. two bolts on the sway bar, 4 bolts on the driveshaft and two brakelines. Pretty straight forward.
    I have pulled a couple axles and I can do a rear in about 1.5 hours start to finish by myself. Front is realy not harder because you don't even have to open the brake lines is your using a 3/4 ton front. If you going to a D60 fron then just need to swap the lanes and then bleed.
    My bud and I swapped axles between our trucks and he decided he wanted to keep his front rotors since they only had about 5k on them so we had to pull the spindles because one was a D44 and one was a 10 bolt. We had the complete job done in 6 hours and 1 hour of that was fighting a raised steering arm. Course plenty of air tools and a lift did help.