Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

different kinds of radios

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by fendereff, Mar 20, 2007.

1. fendereff

fendereff 1/2 ton status

ok so i have a CB and am about to get my HAM license. But I was browsing around a website that sells radios, and they have a section for CBs and Hams and Amateur radios. Their descriptions were rather lacking, so I was wondering if there are different kinds of amateur radios besides Ham and CB. I dont know a whole lot about radios, but I love the idea of being able to communicate with people from my truck and love electronics in general, so I want to have a decent set up in my truck. thanks for the info :bow:

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

www.hamradio.com , they sell Amatuer equipment .

The "amatuer" radios you see at truckstops , aren't . They are CB's with extra channels .

A real amatuer radio can be tuned to any frequency within a given band , not just "channels" . ( I do own a real 10 meter Amatuer radio that can transmit on CB channels , but would never use it :wink1: :wink1: )

Amatuer radios are typically Icom , Yaesu , Kenwood , Alinco , and a few others .

Most local work is with 2 meters ( 144-148 mhz ) , and 70 centimeters ( 420-450 mz ) . And without any special mods , most radios put 50 watts out stock . And with a decent antenna can transmit pretty far . Signal repeaters extend the range , and all towns have those .

The nice thing about ham radios is the people don't cuss up a storm . The radios are not "dirty" and bleed into adjacent frequencies . We can help the community in an emergency . And its just plain fun .

You would probably get your feet wet with a technician class license . Then when you are ready , you can move up in class and get more frequency priveledges where can talk to the whole world .

A CB is for trail use and highway use for short distances . You can spend all the money in the world , buying radios and amps . And very rarely talk out of state ...... except for the period of sunspots ( yes sunspots , on the sun , dictate a lot of how radio waves work ) that happens for a couple years every 11 years .

Now for a decent CB for trail use , try Uniden , Midland , or older Cobras . With a Wilson 1000 , or other quality antenna like a Firestick .

3. fendereff

fendereff 1/2 ton status

yea i have a good Uniden with a Firestick setup. I figured i would end up with just the CB and a Ham for monetary reasons, but if I had extra money ide love to have a couple different radios in there just for fun. i need to get busy on the Ham stuff...