Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Different lift for 88-91 K5's??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trailblazr81, Mar 17, 2007.

1. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

So Im thinking of replacing my 73 K20 longbed with a TBI powered K5. I kinda miss my 81 but also want overdrive and fuel injection. Im wanting to go with a 2" Tuff Country lift cuz its a softer spring than my current 4" ROUGH Country. But Ive seen some lift kits list a different part number for the 88-91 K5's. I thought all the 73-91 K5's had the same suspension. :dunno:
    My plans are to do the intake/exhaust mods to the TBI motor, throw on a 2" lift, swap over the 3/4 ton axles with 4.10 gears and locker and roll with my almost new 35x12.5 BFG M/T's.

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

different sized bushings

3. rwillis757

rwillis757 Registered Member

Bushings?

I have a '75 K-5. Recently I added 3" lift SPRINGS and a fiberglass hood. Now, the front of the truck is about 2" HIGHER than the rear....??? Can I use body lift pads or longer somethings to lift the rear another 2 inches to match the front? Thanks, Rob
    rwillis757@yahoo.com

4. trailblazr81

Use a lift block, add-a-leaf, shackle flip, start a new thread...:doah:

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Oh, come on. Can't you see the fiberglass hood is what did it? =))

-- A

6. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Give the guy a break, at least he's in here asking questions instead of driving a stacked block death trap somewhere. We all had to learn sometime.
    Jimbo

7. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Trailblzr81, the suspension parts are the same, just GM decided to upsize the rear bolt and sleeve on the front spring. Some aftermarket springs use a larger spring eye and therefore bushing also. In short, get the kit for your correct year model, or get greasable bushings from ORD.
    Jimbo

8. trailblazr81

Ya I figured on replacing the shackles anyway with something a little more beefy.

9. rwillis757

rwillis757 Registered Member

lift.?

:confused: Ok, go slow here....I can add ANOTHER lift spring on top of the stiffer lift springs that I already installed? I DID add some air shocks but they appear almost full extended at the current height. Can I EXTEND or buy longer air shocks? (Or cut/reweld the shock attachment brackets to a higher location?) Can you think of any other considerations going up another 2 inches? tranny linkage, steering,driveshafts etc.. And, the body lift kits.....do they REPLACE the polyurathane pads that I JUST INSTALLED?:mad: What do you use for "spring blocks" that were mentioned? and reverse shackles???? where do you get them and HOW are they reversed? Don't want anyone to get hurt here......
    thanks guys:bow: