Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Different master cyl when going 1 ton?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer79, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

D60 and 3/4 ton 14 bolt are on my way. I was wondering if it's necessary to replace the master cyl to a larger one since calipers and cyl. are larger? 1 Tons have larger master cylinders, don't they? Will a larger master cyl bolt to my current booster, or will I need to replace it too?

Thanks.

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I am still running the 1/2 ton master. I have been told the 1 ton non hydro boost master is a bolt on but I have not varified it. Someday I will probably upgrade.

3. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I'm been told that the 92 1 ton MC is a direct bolt on, and otherwise line sized may very... (haven't tried it, but thats what a few others said)

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Like Wayne, no change needed here. Running the factory stock 79 MC and booster and it stops like you threw anchors out the window.

5. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I agree w/Wayne and Frank. I also am running my 1/2 MC w/D60 & 14B w/the BIG brakes. Keep your seat belt on, I can put your nose on the windsheild.

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, theres nothing quite like stomping on the brakes and skipping to a stop! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. solowookie

I'm running 3/4 ton running gear with the 14bff converted to disks... well I had a 99 grand prix gtp when I got this conversions done (did it at the same time as the lift), and it stopped better then my grand prix with 4 wheel disk breaks also!

one time I was pulling into one of the small towns locally here, and there were about 4 cars in a line. well I could tell the person behind me was following more closely cuz they didn't think I could stop.

well let me tell ya something ran into the road in front of the car I was following, and I jammed on my breaks to miss the car in front of me. well they lady that was following me was in a small car (like a minature), and she was sitting partially under my k5!!! it was pretty funny to see how white here face was!

8. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info, guys. It's a relief to know I can still use the new master cylinder I bought before I got my new Dana 60 and 14 Bolt.

9. solowookie

ya know when I did my rear disk conversion I ordered new proportioning valve and all kinds of stuff just to be safe in case I needed it. well other then the parts to do the actual conversion all the stock stuff worked, and I've heard person after person after person say the same thing so I think your in good hands! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif/forums/images/icons/cool.gif