Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Different OBA Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Paxx, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Is there a way to use your home compressor to fill a portable tank on your truck? Rather than paying everytime you go out wheeling you could just hook up to your home compressor for a few a voila free air. Could it work? I don't think it would be too hard and it would eliminate the space/weight added by using an oba compressor. Well lets hear it:grin:

2. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Sure...

Sure, it'd be easy. Just find a tank and bolt it to your truck. Make sure the tank has atleast 2 holes in it. Put a one way valve on one of the holes and use it as a filler hole, use the other hole to connect a hose for accesories (impact wrench, etc...)

Simple as that.

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yeah more or less, canadian tire even sells little air 'pigs' that you fill with a tire valve and has a hose on it with the tire filler on it.

if you could find a tank , and hook a hose from your comprssor to the tank and they will equalize so you can have as much pressure on board as your home comp.
    it is what i was planing on doing with my bumper tanks:cool1:

4. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

When my OBA AC clutch went out I took a male quick disconnect and adapted it to a one way valve off of a portable air tank. Plug the thing in and you can fill the tank before you go wheeling.

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Where are you guys mounting the tanks? Pics?

6. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Problem is capacity. You would run out of pressure/volume so quickly, it isn't worth the weight and expense of the tank. That is why people carry Power Tanks (and equivelant). The liquid carbon dioxide boils off as the tank is depleted, and keeps the tank pressure up. That way, it will last a long time, and doesn't weigh much.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

12V "tire pump" works

I've seen guys use one of those small 12V compressors to pump up the air tanks,it wont be very fast but it does work!--you can take about 10 lug nuts off with an impact on a full tank of air,then it will take 10 minites or so to fill up to pressure again--naturally the higher priced ones will be faster and last longer than the ten dollar china ones..one guy used the compresser from a 90's caddy for the air bag suspension with good results(junk yard price 20 bucks)...

With all the elaborate systems I see here ,I wonder why no one has taken a small house hold shop air compessor and remove the pump,make a bracket to mount it to the engine and run a v-belt to one of the pulleys with an idler pulley,spring loaded, and easy to remove the belt when not using the air system,a bit crude but effective way to get cheap air-
    -just relocate the pump to the engine,pull the electric motor off and save for some other use,and mount the tank remotely somewhere and replumb the lines to it--I think if you have the right kind of pump and valve setup,you can make it a "constant run" style compressor,that cuts out at the required pressure(about 100 psi)and frewheels the pump until pressure drops below 75 and it starts pumping again,similar to the diesel big rigs with air brakes...

..in fact I have 2 air compressors from diesel trucks that would work,one is a bendix 2 cylinder,but it bolted right to the engine ,and the bottom of it is exposed(like an engine with no oil pan on it!)--I'd have to make a pan and mounts for that one,it had an oil pressure line from the motor to lube the bearings too,might not live on splash lube alone too long....
    The other is off an Isuzu large box truck,its all self contained like a house compressors pump is,but some plumbing is missing--I got them with hopes of making a gas powered compressor to use outside far from the electric outlets
    but havent found time for that project yet .....be great for spray painting the garage and other stuff in the yard...:crazy:

8. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just a thought for you, if your main use apart from airing up your tires is impact wrenches, then why not get a decent battery impact wrench?

I have a Snap On 18v 1/2" drive one, one of their latest and it's fantastic!
    I spent a few days over Christmas putting in front and rear gears in my axles and only used the battery wrench. I didn't need to use the air wrench once and I had to take the rear pinion out a whole lot of times to get it right.
    I used up one battery (it still worked fine but not at full strength) and some of the spare, but that was still at full strength when I finished. A few hours in the re-charger and they're up again.
    They are really powerful. My lug nuts are torque to 70lb/ft and it undoes them as if they were lose already (and no, they weren't!!:haha: )
    If you were away for a few days and using them a lot you could use an inverter to to recharge them from your truck battery.:grin: