Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

different shocks front to rear...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Avery4jc, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

A little side project that I need to get done soon is getting some shocks put on my truck. I have 8" superlift springs so I figure I'll just replace my empty shocks with the same thing but mount them the correct way this time as I figure thats all that I'll really benefit from. If I had more travel I'd invest in some better units but I think this will serve its purpose...
    So I went to 4WheelParts and they were retarded...he said that they don't keep anything in stock for lifts as big as 8" and that I'd be better off ordering them from their website...which is dumb b/c all the stupid duties around here have ungodly amounts of lift but w/e.

So I checked on superlift's website first to get some part numbers and I thought it was interesting that they show different numbers from front to rear...are the shocks normally different from front to rear? Like the valving or is there more to it?
    Check it out...I looked under '73-'87 Chevy 3/4 ton 8 lug with 5-8" of lift and they say 85140 for the front and 85150 for the back.
    http://www.superlift.com/media/charts/shocks-superide.pdf

So I was just wondering if this was normal. Oh and if anyone has suggestions for shocks lmk.

2. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

How do you know they are empty?

3. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

i think the rear shocks are longer then the front.

4. Avery4jc

b/c I pulled them off and there is no oil in them anymore. They were mounted upside down so all the oil drained out over the years.

Hmmmm so the rears are longer....I wonder why. The mounting tabs are about the same height on the axle tubes and they mount at basically the same height on the frame up top...

5. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

They shouldn't leak out just being up side down. when you put them back in where they hard to push in and pushed back out? shocks are under pressure so if there is a leak oil will be all over them and you can push them or pull them with ease.

I'm just trying to ask questions and not try to sound like a d!ck

6. Avery4jc

One of them on the front was really hard to compress but I thought it was b/c it had a slight bend in the shaft...
    Then the other front shock I was able to compress it and extend it by hand.

I don't know about the back b/c when I put the 14ff in I never checked and they ligned back up...so I just unbolted them from the axle then swung them back in place and put the bolts back in when the 14ff went under.

7. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Im running rancho RS3000's up front and RS9000's in the rear. Works really well for me. You could measure from mount to mount, and look at compress/extended lengths and get a set of shocks for your exact setup. Just a thought. i cant remember what the percentage is for compress/extended lengths tho.

8. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Rear shocks are always longer, not too sure about the rates for each being different, although it wouldn't be a bad idea. More often you'll see people take matters into their own hands and run something heavier up front,and lighter in the rear since most people usually don't have a loaded bed all the time. It could be that rear shocks are set up to be "rear shocks", .. but I think it's more the length than anything else.

9. barneybasher1010

barneybasher1010 1/2 ton status

10. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I was running ProComp 3000s because they give a pretty goof ride for a cheap shock but when I did my flip and lift I measured what I needed and the ProComps listed for a 5-6" lift didn't extend enough for good droop so I bought some longer ones for the rear and used some stock rear Edelbrocks up front. Works great.

11. Avery4jc

they have the 85150's for the rear sctatch and dent but the 85140's for the front are $33 plus shipping so I'll check around and see what prices are like before I order them.