Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Different Size Tires...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Capman2k, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Okie dokie... Today, I noticed that my right front tire, which has been very worn out for a while, was worn to the point that the threads underneath were showing :eek1:

SO, I whipped out the jack and threw on my spare tire... I'm kind of on the broke side, or I would just go out and buy another tire... Anywho, I noticed that my spare tire is not only a different brand, but a different size...

Whatever numbnuts before me decided to put smaller tires on the Jeep (215's) and didn't bother to replace the spare also... So I have three 215's and a 225... I took it to Ray to get the lugnuts torqued properly, and he said to simply not put my Jeep into 4wd... Problem is, it has the full-time 4x4... He just laughed and that was that... What can I expect to break in the near future with my different size tires? :confused:

2. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

Go here ,http://4lo.com/calc/gearmetric.htm
    and compare the two tire sizes. I found only about .5 inch difference if the tires are both xxx/70r15.
    You also dont say if you have lockers or not, so without more info, I would suggest running the different sized tires on the front axle. I don't think you will have any problems at all with it on the front, unlocked
    good luck
    Bob

3. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

I think its close enough you'll be OK... run it in front. What vehicle is this? Is it a standard full time 4 wheel drive or that new fancy "thing thinks its smarter than me" and detects what it thinks is wheel spin and routes power to a different whel and/or applies brakes? :doah:
    I hate technology... well except for limited slips that turn into lockers with a flip of a switch...

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If it's plain full time 4wd you should be alright. If it's Quadratrac or their fancy automatic limited slip/braking thingy you might have problems.

5. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

It's the Quadratrac... I assume I don't have lockers since this Jeep is completely stock other than the midget tires someone put on there :doah:

My understanding of Quadratrac is it's one of those "thinks it's smarter than me" systems, if I'm not mistaken...

6. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

I still say it should be OK. If its only a half inch smaller. And if it has full tread while your other tire is worn its pretty close. :wink1:

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if open diffs then o.k. just will steer funny on the front.