Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

different tailpans?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Sep 14, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

LMC..jcwhitney..gmpartsdirect.com?..what one fits the best, as i know sometimes they are to short or long..

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I like mine. Cost $20 to make. I gurantee you will be in the grave before you have problems out of it again. I used a pice of 2x7 inch C channel /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Why 7 inches? So that the rear legs of the roll cage can also sit on it. It's easy to make if you got the tools to cut the steel. It took kyle over at KMA and I about an hour to make. The key is to get your old one out in relativly one peice so you can get measurements off it.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ha yea well i dont even have one! lol...the whole thing totally rusted out..desinagrated! could you give me the specs on your tailpan?

Bryan

4. Grim-Reaper

YEah I'll see what I can do about some measurement's. It's really a simple peice. the only critical demensions are the width where it bolts to the bed up rights, width and location of the place to bolt the hinges for the gate.
    The width is something odd as I recall. So what I did was use a wider peice then cut the end down the the width I needed and welded a peice of 1/4 plate to make a point for the up rights to bolt on.

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

did you have to make any speacial groves in the bottom of it for the frame, and drill some holes or something to mount the body?

6. Grim-Reaper

Ohhh Hell I forgot to get the mesurements. I'll get them tomorrow.
    The tail pad at the body mounts is about 2.25 inches tall. Install a couple 1/4 plate peices accross it with a peice of pipe as suport where the mounts go. Works perfect.

7. lt61173

lt61173 1/2 ton status

there is a article in the Rusty Tailgate Hinge Repair: in the tech section on the main page