Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Different Types of TH400's ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mtnman210, Feb 15, 2006.

1. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

ok so I saw somebody asking for a "k-case" th400. I had no clue there were different types. What are the differences between them? So what kind are the most desirable. And more specifically for going between a 454 and 205.

Or is this something I could find with search:D

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

that was probably me... and I made a boo-boo. From what I understand, all 4x4 th400s can be called a "k-case". What I was actually looking for was a "HD" th400 case. The only real difference between the two being the thickness of the flange that the dust cover bolts too and how it attaches. On a normal 4x4 th400 the cover is usually plastic or thin sheetmetal and is attached to the trans with 4 small screws. On the HD case version, the cover is thick(er) cast aluminum... it attached with 6 bolts. Additionally, from the factory, HD cases used a couple of steel bars that run from the dust cover thing to the motor mounts to help make the drivetrain more rigid.

j

3. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

ahh...gotcha. thanks for the info. the cover you're talking about is the cover that covers the toque converter--right? Then for me it makes no difference because I broke that off along time ago and it's never gone back on:haha:

4. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

Are all HD cases 4x4 cases? My brother is going to build a TH400 for his blazer and said that he was probably going to use a 2wd 400 he found for cheap. But then he said it was an HD case (which I then told him should be a 4x4 case). Does the guy he's getting it from just not know what it actually came from? If it is indeed a 2wd case, other than the inspection cover, will it work, will a tranfer case bolt up? Sorry for the noob question.

5. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

yes there are 2wd cases that at HD and no the transfer case will not just bolt up you need to change out the output shaft

6. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

But if he has the output shaft from the broken (broken bellhousing) Th400/203 put in, he will be able to use it (ie the flange is the same)? I'd just look at it but it is 200 miles away. Also, would the 2wd HD case have the 6 bolt cover or the 4 screw cover?

7. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

yes if he swaped the output shaft it would work and the HD case should have the 6 bolt cover

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

all parts are the same from inside from 2x4 to 4x4 just need the case you want and use the tail shaft you want . like before the case is thicker at bell housing area and is setup to hold the heavy duty cover with the rods.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeppers. Some people say that cover is no big deal... and for most people's use it probably isn't. Me? I'm gonna use a beefy cast trans oil pan and the HD case with thick cover... I wanna be able to beat the living snot out of this drivetrain and have it be able to "suck it up". If I'm gonna go through the trouble of swapping out my Raptor 700 and 205 setup... I wanna get all the th400 beef that I can. :thumb:

j