Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

different way to do rear 56's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thedrip, Jan 14, 2007.

1. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

Another not-quite-right thought came into my head today. I'm doing 56's front and rear. For the rear, I want to do them backwards (long side forward), but move the front spring hanger 4" forward as well, so as not to increase wheelbase, but give better departure angle compared to longside back.

Anyone see any obvious problems with this? I know axle wrap is an issue with the long side forward... anything else? I might even go so far as to move the rear axle ahead 2" to match the 2" the front axle is moving forward, keep the k5 wheelbase, just effectively move the center of gravity rearwards 2".

2. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

How would that increase departure angle with you keeping the rear tires in the same location?? If you move the tires further back it will increase wheelbase (make u more stable and helps on some trails) and increase your departure angle b/c your tires are whats touching the ground. The closer the tires are to the rear the better the departure angle, and your springs won't hang down that low.

3. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Also theres a body mount about 4" infront of the spring mount BTW

4. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

well, as for departure angle, I'll be cutting the truck off at the rear spring hanger, wherever it happens to end up, so having the short side back would mean the truck is shorter. as for the body mount 4" ahead of the spring hanger... I'll go look and measure and see how feasible this is. If it'll work, I think I'll be happier overall.

Does longside forward/backward affect flex or performance in any way (other than axle wrap)

edit: just looked at my truck and remembered why the body mounts are not a concern. Its a 77, so it has a pickup type crossmember mount, rather than the outboard body mounts at that position.

5. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

I would think it would droop to the long side just because there is more spring to droop too.