Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Different way to relocate spring perch on 14 bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Yukon Jack, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Read in a mag that when swapping in a 14 bolt, some people make a plate that is welded to the existing spring perch and the tube rather than cutting the existing spring perch and moving it. Then the spring perch centerbolt hole is put in the correct location.

Can't see a strength problem if used correct sized steel, but wanted to hear opinions whether this is acceptable option. Here's a crude pic I drew from a pic of one of our member's axles (he did move his perch).

[​IMG]

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I saw that tidbit of advice from Willie, but have to wonder how you would get the U-bolt to fit over the axle on the side that still has the old perch in the way. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I suppose that with enough grinding it would work, but with that much grinding and welding you might as well just move the perches! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

That's a good point. I believe my 14 bolt that I will be swapping in has the spring perch that is solid so that would take a bunch of grinding to clear the ubolts.

4. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

i had to move my spring pearches it didn't take much to /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif them of although a plasma cutter would have been nicer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    also if you remove them and reweld them you can change the pinion angle to you specs /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

whats the trick to getting them perfectly aligned with each other though ?

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    whats the trick to getting them perfectly aligned with each other though ?

[/ QUOTE ]
    A magnetic angle finder. They cost $5 or so at Sears or most any good hardware store. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

or you could bolt everything together under the truck and than tack the pads where you want them and than un bolt it all to weld them all the way around, that's how i plan on dooing it

8. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    or you could bolt everything together under the truck and than tack the pads where you want them and than un bolt it all to weld them all the way around, that's how i plan on dooing it

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto, then you also know you get the pinion angle right where you want it.