Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Different wheel width on 10" rim?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Iron_Weasel, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Iron_Weasel

Iron_Weasel Registered Member

I've got some 15x10 rims on my 79 K10 that will be receiving a 4" suspension lift shortly.
    I'm down to two tire choices. Super Swamper LTB in 34x10.50x15 or Super Swamper TrXus Mud in 33x12.50x15.
    Now, a guy I work with has two LTB's in the size I'm looking for that he'll sell me for $75 each. I can also get two more LTB's locally for $120 each which brings the total price to roughly $400. The TrXus I can get for $140 each which comes out to $560.
    Personally, I like the tread design on the LTB's vs.the TrXus. And according to Interco's site the LTB tread width is 9.25" while the TrXus is 9.6". A difference of a whopping half inch.

What I'm concerned about is putting a 10.50" tire on a 10" wide rim.
    Will it "balloon" out too much and make the sidewall more vulnerable?
    Should I get some cheap 15x8 rims instead?

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

yes and yes

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dont worry about "ballooning"... its over rated as a major concern IMO. There are peeps who run 44" TSLs on 8" wide rims. Lots more run them on 10" rims. Don't worry about it. On the other hand, get whats cheap... and 8" wide rims tend to be cheaper than 10" ones. So basically, go with the narrower rim... but not because of "ballooning"... but because of price.

j

4. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

ballooning is not a problem... i know people who run 18" wide boggers on 8 and 10" rims, thats a 8" difference. the sidewall is not much more vulnerable really

5. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

i think most of the replies above assume you want to mount a tire that is too wide on a rim that is too narrow, from what i see you want to mount a tire that is too narow on a rim that is too wide

from my experience you really dont want a rim that is too wide, the right size or narrower(which is what i believe the posts above are talking about) but never too wide

a 10.50" tire on a 10" wheel would be major pita to mount. even if you have a machine, you might have to use a strap around the middle to push the bead out, or ether and a lighter to seat the bead, plus at low pressure the tire might break the bead real easily since its not ment to be pushed out that much, youd look like a lowrider, with a hemispherical cross-section there would be nothing protecting the rim, except a rim guard if the LTBs even have it.

in the pic; it should look like the first but with 10.5 on a 10" it will look more like the second

get 8's or even 7-6's
    ive got 31x10.50R15 m/t's on 15x6.5 rims and they work fine, wont even bust the bead w/o a valve stem core(in mud, rocks might be different)

6. Iron_Weasel

I want to do what works the best.
    With that said, I believe I'll be plunking down the cash for some 33" TrXus Mud's. The price difference between the LTB's and TrXus is negated once you consider the purchase price of 15x8 wheels.
    Besides, I'd rather have the extra width of the tire for a larger footprint to deal with the sand out here.

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

how about a set of 325 60 R 15(31 x 13 x 15) BFG Muds? www.nebraskatire.com has them listed at 109.95 each, and they would fit on your 10" wheels pretty well. why are you so set on 31" tires? 33s should fit your truck pretty easily, and 33 x 12.50s are easy to come by.

8. Iron_Weasel

Beater, I think you misread one of the replies.