Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Differential Breather Lines

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SummitXMK, Oct 15, 2001.

1. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

I need new breather lines for both my DANA 44 and GM 12 Bolt. Can I just get these at NAPA or does somebody actully sell the whole setup maybe even in longer length that I can route up further. Where did some of you route yours too? Thanks in Advance.

SummitXMK

78 K5 Cheyenne 400 th350 203 With lots of miles

2. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

You should be able to use any correct size rubber hose. I would just bring the old ones into an autoparts store, and have them cut you a couple of good lengths.

As far as where to route them ...... how deep to you get your truck into water?
    The front one can be routed all the way up to the top of the engine compartment, and so can the rear for that matter. The length really doesn't matter, as long as the diff can breath it will be fine.

Thomas.

-- '84 1-Ton Blazer --
    When the goin' gets tough,
    the tough go 1-Ton [​IMG]

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I kept the tips off my old ones and used vaccuum line from my local parts store. I run my front one up to the upper firewall. I run the back one up to teh highest point on the underside of the tub. Actually, I think it runs somewhere in conjunction with the top of the wheel well.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

so there is no ill effect by running a longer breather? i was going to plumb them both together and put a K&amp;N filter somewhere high up in the cab...anyone done anthing like this?

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

5. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

no problem running a longer line. All it's for is to allow pressure to equalize. Cold and heat will cause expansion and compression inside the housing. If there wasn't a breather hole, there would be noway for it to equalize. So running a longer line will not have any ill effects. I don't see an issue tying them together either.

A K&amp;N crank case filter will work fine to cap them off in the engine compartment.

Thomas

-- '84 1-Ton Blazer --
    When the goin' gets tough,
    the tough go 1-Ton [​IMG]

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't waste your money on a filter for it. The diffs aren't cycling air through them. Like Stoopalini said, they are simply there to allow for the presure to equalize and not build up. If you didn't run underwater, you wouldn't even need hoses. The only reason for those is to get the diffs "snorkel" above the water so as not to take water into the diff and "drown" it.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

7. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I used some clear tubing on mine, it lets you make sure there aren't any foreign particles floating around that you don't want! Ran the front up to the rear of the firewall. Ran the rear up along the gas filler neck, where I drilled a 1/2" hole, ran the tubing into the vehicle, where it sits under the carpet next to the wheelwell (protected by my roll bar). Just sealed up the hole with plenty of silicone and called it a day. If you can, re-use the stock GM "one way" valves in your new tubing, it works real well...

And like the other guys said, any length will work, it's just for pressure equalization...

8. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Would you really want to run the breather line into the cab like that?? I'm thinking it'd make the cab stink of gear lube.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

9. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Run it up next the fuel Filler pipe and inside the gas cap area, high and mostly dry unless YOU"RE IN TOO DEEP, front one next to the raditor on top of the frame. I used clear vinyl and the orginal caps.....just make sure you leave enough for the axle to flex!!!!!

Still a very pissed-off
    White Knight

10. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I ran mine from the back up to the firewall, Teed it in with the front one and went as far up as I could.
    The cab will stink if you run them inside.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[​IMG] How can you guy's say gear lube smells bad. This you'd never hear from a guy named Chevyfumes...[​IMG]

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

12. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I plan to run steel conduit from front to back inside the frame rail, and have branches on it to hook tubing to for the rear axle, Tcase, Tranny and front axle. Then shoot it up to the top of the firewall under the hood. If I get in to the top of my hood I will have bigger problems other that water in my diffs! [​IMG]

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Do all front axles have vent tubes? I can't find the one on my new 10 bolt. It's from an '82 K20. Both my old ones had them, but I can't seem to find one anywhere on the new axle.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles