Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Differential Capacity????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazinBaldy, Jan 14, 2003.

1. BlazinBaldy

BlazinBaldy Registered Member

I have a 1988 stock blazer, and I just wanted to know whats the best weight oil 90 or 85/140 and how much? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Coastal 80w90 is good stuff...depends on axle, but I'd buy 3 quarts per axle. Undo the fill plug, fill till it starts coming out...

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I would buy 3 per axle to be on the safe side but my 12b and d44 only took 2.5 each.
    As for weight, depends on your axles and where you live.
    In cold weather you need hinner, but if you have a worn axle with big tolerances, if it makes noises, I would go with thicker.
    The multi grades are usually synthetic so they are better as well as more $$$

4. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

You should get 3qt. per axle. As for what weight I run 75/90 but like somebody else said if you have a lot of miles you could run 85/140 or a 75/140
    As to what I think is the best Oil go web page
    well that didn't work the way I wanted it to /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Oh well that Gear oil will help you the most in the long run.

Eric