Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Differential Cover Gasket-Sealant?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k20, Dec 17, 2002.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Ok, today when i get home im going to change the front diff oil, since yesterday i noticed it looks like very light chocolate milk. Anyway, my question is, when i go to reinstall the cover w/ the new gasket, do i use some type of sealant? What kind do you recommend? Also if i have to use some, where do i put it? on both sides of the gasket? just on the cover side? just on the diff. side? Thanks y'all.

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I usually just use silicone. If I do use a gasket, I put the silicone on both sides.

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I just use Permatex red RTV, no gasket. Put it on the cover, let it set up for about 15 minutes, then slap it on. No leaks whatsoever.

John

4. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I never use a gasket. I use whatever Permatex I have, blue, red, black, whatever. I've been doing this for years and never had a problem. Just make sure both the cover and diff mounting surfaces are clean and dry before you apply the Permatex.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Another vote for no gasket. I've never used them and have never had a leak. A thin bead of RTV, let it skin, then slap the cover on. No fuss no muss. </font color>

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I just use Permatex red RTV, no gasket. Put it on the cover, let it set up for about 15 minutes, then slap it on. No leaks whatsoever.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Same here.
    wux gud. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif
    Grant

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I haven't bought a diff cover gasket in my life. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif RTV seals it up so well that I've never had so much as a single drop leak out. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Just don't go crazy with the RTV, it just takes a very thin layer to seal it up.

8. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Once again, I vote for no gasket!! If you have a gasket &amp; you hit an object, it pushes the metal into the gasket &amp; will leak around it. The only RTV I like to use is the black. It works on ALL occasions, not just some. Anyway, just my $0.02!!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

9. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

When ever there is just a cover involved, I just use RTV...but if the sealing surface acts as a structural member (bearing retainer or other) I use a gasket and RTV...When I was sealing my adapter between my 465 and 205, I only used RTV at first...big mistake on my part...the adapter wasn't able to seat flat on the seal surface b/c the bearing for the tranny had bottomed out in its retainer groove and was acting as a pivot...as a result of the RTV being too thin, I stripped 4 bolt holes out of the tranny...So with diff covers, PTO covers, etc, I use RTV...but tranny/t-case adapters, tailhousings, etc, I use bioth a gasket and RTV...

Chris

10. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Ok, well i was gonna use a gasket.......but ended up just using the rtv. Now on to the most newb question i can think of, wtf front axle do i have?!?!?!?!?! I always thought it was a 10b, well i bought a 10-bolt gasket. Nope, not it, took it back, thinkin, ah, well got a D44 then, got a D44 gasket, nope, said forget it, slapped some rtv on it, and called it good........now.......*praying d60* what front axle do i have? theres only one or two pics below, but a 87, chevy 3/4ton 14SF rear.....

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Looks like a 10 bolt to me. Definately not a D60, you can tell by the inner u-bolt on the passenger side. There are several versions of the 10 bolt, they probably just gave you the gasket for one of the S-10 or Camaro ones.</font color>

12. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

well, if the guy did, hes a moron. He asked what yr it was out of and what it was out of. Ah, pep-boys sucks. The guy was being a jerk lol. I was still talkin and hes like awe, we cant get u an axle here. Ok, well i was still talking but anyway.

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

too bad on the no gasket
    if you play in water, and you do if you had choco milk, you will most likely tire of scraping the silly putty off when a gasket would just peel off nice n clean for oil changes.

14. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Im another of the no gasket guys. I use Right Stuff. I dont recall who makes it, maybe Loc-Tite. This stuff is unreal. When it dries its MUCH more firm than any other I have used. The cover wont just pop off when you take the bolts off, it actually takes a bit of persuading. Doesnt stay gooey feeling. Never had a leak, and scrapes right off no problem. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif