Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Differential Cover

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Quackaddict, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Quackaddict

Quackaddict 1/2 ton status

Ok I am paining my axles for my swap. I pulled of the differential cover sanded it down and painted it. I have painted the axle and cover black.

On purpose I am going with black wheels no chrome center caps but I want chrome lug nuts.

I thought hey while I am being "artistic" why not use chrome differnential bolts on the black cover. I don't want the whole diff cover chrome....just not me.

Anyone know where I can buy just Chrome diff bolts or are they just generic bolts that I could go down to the hardware store and get stainless steel bolts that would pretty much serve the same purpose and get the look I am going for.

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I don't know if you have an Orchard Supply Hardware there, but here they have a pretty good selection of chrome bolts. You just take an existing one down and match it. Lowe's may have some as well.

3. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I would go stainless instead of chrome. Chrome will flake off and rust after being beat on with rocks and road debris for a while.

I'm using stainless button-head bolts on both of my black diff covers.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, stainless rocks. :grin: If you must have chrome and no one near you supplies them, you could try Vancouver Bolt and Supply. They have a web page you can order from... just google them.

j

5. Quackaddict

hmmmm I like the idea of of using a bolt with a "different" type head on it. I love this website I come up with ideas and someone helps make them better.

Got pics?

6. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I'll get some. I got my housing back from powder coating yesterday but they still have the cover.

I picked the button head bolts for two reasons:
    1. They will let things bounce off a little easier without damaging the head
    2. They were free. Five-finger discount. :smirk:

7. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I have a chrome diff cover with a rock ring. I had to use allen head bolts, but I'm going to replace them with stainless.

rock ring.JPG

8. Quackaddict

yeah the button head bolts were just to expensive and they didn't have enought so I got stainless anyway i will post up some pics when.......I mean if I get done.:wink1:

9. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

mines red :)