Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Differential problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by René, Apr 8, 2002.

1. René

René 1/2 ton status

I have a differential lock (optioncode 1G80) in my 14 Bolt SF. The problem is that the lock doesn’t activates itself in the correct moment and thus makes an adventurous handling.
    Is the rear axle strongly enough if I welt on the spider gears? I drive 50% on highways.

2. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Probably a Gov Lok ,which is known to have weird engagement and failures too. The way the gov lok works is kinda screwy from what I've heard which is why they are prone to breaking. But I am not any kind of an expert on this

3. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

Oh no another problem with a 14 sf, good keep em coming that way I'll be strong enough to cough up the money for the 14 ff oh sorry man I really cant help you there, I just replaced my axle to a 14 sf and really dont know much about them.

4. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

It should be plenty strong to weld it. If you have larger than 36's I would be a little cautious but if they are smaller go for it, just make sure you clean it well first and weld it good. Starting fluid works well for the final clean up before welding just let it evaporate completely first. You should also put axle grease on your ring and pinion gears and the center pin so you dont get weld splatter on them.

5. René

René 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the responses.
    First I’ll try a welding, because we gets only some 14ff in very bad condition from the US-Army, here in Germany. These have then the wrong ratio and costs much cash (around 1000$).

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'm no expert on the gov-lock (I've never even been into one) but, I don't think you will be very successful welding it. Normally people weld up open differentials where you have easy access to the spider and drive gears. Gov-lock is a whole different animal. I would do some more checking before starting to weld on the gov-lock.