Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Differential question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by James, Jul 6, 2000.

1. James

James 1/2 ton status

Just yanked my np203 tcase and driveshafts replacing seals due to leaking and replacing ujoints. Noticed 2 things not real sure of. 1)how much play should there be in the front differental. When I grab the flange and move from left to right there is a good 1/2 inch of play. Is this acceptable or not? 2)Can the transmission leak fluid from anywhere other than the rear seal or the trans pan? It seems as though fluid is leaking well in front of the trans pan furthur up around the torque converter. Is this possible?. I appreciate the slightest bit of info as I am farely new to mechanics. np203 and th350
    James

2. 72junker

72junker Registered Member

There's s front seal on a tranny around the shaft that the torque converter sits on. Changing it is easy... Getting to it requires dropping the tranny.

3. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

There is also an o-ring around the cover of one of the actuator pistons. It is easy to change, so make sure it isn't leaking before going deeper.

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I would think with a half an inch of play your gonna have to replace the ujoint soon anyway, so why not do it now before it's on the side of the road somewhere.

89 K5 Silverado