Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

differential question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by archer, Sep 5, 2000.

1. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

I have an 8.5" ring gear, 28 spline gm corporate 10 bolt rear end. I (unfortunately) have the g-80 "locking differential" option (limited slip) This thing seems to have a special carrier, (cutaways and holes for the governor set) I know it's the factory diff cause it's on the window sticker. I would really like to stick one of the detroit or easy-locker offerings in here, but they don't seem to have a clue what I'm talking about. I know some of you have discovered one of these on your K-5 and probably replaced them. Any suggestions? This is an '85 K-5 with nasty ol' 3.08 gears, I will be replacing those too.............390s?

"who dares wins"

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

You will have to find an "open carrier" to put the Lock Right in. The Gov-Lok Carrier is totally different. Also, you may want to check and see what the ratio split is on te carriers. My 12 bolt had 3.08's and I had to get the next carrier up to use my 4.10's.

I may be able to locate you a 10 bolt open carrier fo r the 3.08 gears. Let me know if you are interested, but new ones are only around $60. Mine would be free if I have one and you would only need to pay shipping.

HTH

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The "drop-in" lockers, either the Lock-Rite or the Detroit EZ locker, will only work with the standard open differential. You could replace the Gov-Lok with a standard open diff, and then install one of the lockers....but it would make more sense to just install a Detroit C-locker (replaces the entire carrier and makes it much stronger). You could also upgrade to 30 spline axles at this time by installing a 30 spline Detroit and axleshafts.
    Another option would be to find an open 10-bolt in a junkyard and swap in the entire axle assembly and then install the Lock-Rite or EZ........

4. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

I was sort of afraid of that, 60.00 isn't bad though. Does anybody put 410's or 411's in these? I figured I'd sort of be asking for trouble going that high with a 10 bolt, the c-clip axles in here don't really strike me as being too sturdy. Thanks, by the way.

"who dares wins"

5. Emmettology 101

I ran my stock 10 bolt with 3.08's and 35's for about 4 years with no problems, oh I had a Gov-lok also. I used to wheel the hell out of it and only broke one axle and actually, if I had a 14FF I would have broke an axle in it also. The situation was terrible and the reason it broke wasn't the strength of the 10 bolt it was the situation..

What do you use the Blazer for?

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

6. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

Detroit c-locker, that sounds like something that might work. Is it a true locker or does it use clutch packs? I only plan on doing a little here and there bogging, and trail stuff. No rock crawling (unless I really get the itch)

"who dares wins"

7. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

When I bought this blazer, I found a totally thrashed spider gear in the rear, I bought new upper and lower spiders, and now I'm getting ready to stuff it all back in. Do you think I can run 33's on here with relative ease? My engine is just a 305, I thought power might become an issue,

"who dares wins"

8. Emmettology 101

You have spider gears in the rear????? I thought you had a gov-lok?(springs, clutches, etc...)

If you have spider gears in the rear than it is an open diff and you can drop a lock right in. If you look at the diff and you see springs and clutches and a bunhc of bull malarchy than it is a gov-lok.. If you lookinto the center of the diff and you see four spider gears and a pin, then it is open.

The Detroit is abouot the best locker you can buy...

You will be just fine with the 10 bolt and 33's...

Mike [​IMG]

9. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

This one has a wide variety of little objects in it. The first thing you see is the governor set, the clutches are on the sides, then there is a large block that the cross shaft goes through, and on the top and bottom of the cross shaft are upper and lower spider gears. (thinner than those in an open diff) and those are driven by side gears. None of the spider gears are readily visible for all of the other crap, but they are in there. I'm sure there are other oem limited slips that don't use them but this one did for whatever reason.

"who dares wins"

10. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

I'll try to attatch the diagram

"who dares wins"

11. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Gov-locks have all the normal gears like an open diff. They work exactly like an open diff most of the time, which is why GM uses them. They just have clutches and a governor mechanism to engage the clutches which locks the axle shafts together when a wheel spins.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

12. Emmettology 101

Sorry, I never had mine apart so I didn't know there were spider gears in there.

If you are looking for an open carrier contact David Frank at Macromotive.(http://www.macromotive.com)

I lost his phone since I installed my new Internet Explorer, but I am sure I can get it if you would like it.

I know he can help you with the open carrier and with the Lock Right!

Mike [​IMG]

13. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

Yea, I think I'll go the open diff route. There just aren't enough options for this carrier. Thanks for the link, I'll look him up. I like the idea behind this diff. It only "locks-up" under 20mph. I just don't like the idea of it blowing into a million pieces while I'm on a trail or hunting.

"who dares wins"

14. Emmettology 101

I can get you his e-mail address at work and his work Phone number if you like also!

let me know.

Mike [​IMG]