Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Differential Question...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Dec 6, 2000.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I have a daily driver... 1978 jimmy... runs great... 4 inch lift... 35BFG AT's... w/3.73's ... I recently found out how much not having any locking gears really sucks in the snow, deep snow that is...
    I want to add something to the front and rear to lock up the axles so I have the traction I need to get where I wanna go... I heard alot of people talking about lockers, spools minispools, etc... but what is best for daily driving... and a reasonable price??? Can i do the front and then the back??? The front is a dana 44 the rear is a gm 12 bolt... I need daily drivability and off road traction... I'm stumped...
    Please advise...

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I drive mine daily too, and I think I'll either weld the spiders or get a Detroit. Both options bring up drivability issues, the welded spiders for obvious reasons. I guess it depends on what your willing to put up with. The only locker that will truly give you the best of both worlds would be the ARB. Open for the street and at the flick of a switch locked solid for when you need it off-road! It is a little pricey though.
    The problem is that what I'm willing to put up with in my daily driver may be unacceptable to you. I really don't mind tires chirping in parking lots etc.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

So you think a detroit would be good for the rear??? what about the front???
    I dont mind a chirp either :)

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

4. tRustyK5

I think I'm going to leave my front open or save for an ARB. I do occasionally drive it on snowy streets, so I'd like to have the front either open or able to be open.
    A Detroit is good for the rear but supposedly takes a little getting used to. You will hear and feel it around corners as it allows the outer wheel to 'overrun' and then re-engages. Apparently its less noticable with an automatic.
    It is very strong and is undoubtedly the 'King' of lockers off-road.

Rene

[​IMG]

5. tRustyK5

I just re-read your original post. <blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

35BFG AT's... w/3.73's ... I recently found out how much not having any locking gears really sucks in the snow, deep snow that is...

<hr></blockquote>

Part of your problem with deep snow is the AT's. In the deep stuff, like up to 2', my MT Grabbers dig like you wouldn't beleive![​IMG] Deep snow is similar to mud and you need a fairly aggressive tire. AT's are good for snow and ice on streets because its not deep.

Just something else to consider. Did any of the guys you went wheelin with use AT's?

Rene

[​IMG]

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Lots of folks (including the four by magazines) are talking about either Lincoln Lockers (get the Jan 2001 issue of Four Wheel and Off Road, page 116) or spools. Like anything, you will get varied opinions........seems a Detroit and a spool behave SIMILARLY with the spool being much cheaper (they quote in the mag the price for a Detroit installed at around $813). If you are going to that expense and trouble, might also want to regear for the 35's while they are already having to reset the gear pattern. I have an Auburn posi in my 12 bolt rear with 3.73's and am very happy with it. I don't hardcore wheel with it, so take that into consideration. AZBLAZER has the same posi as I do on both the front and rear of his 79 and I believe is very happy with them, and he wheels his rig.

As with anything, up to your wallet........these darn trucks make ya crazy with wish lists. Figure if you want to lock/posi/spool front and rear, maybe with a regear to 4.56's it is gonna cost ya a grand easy. Or more. The general consensus is the ARB is the "best" for the front as you can lock and unlock it with a switch and have NO ill manners on ice/snow/wet streets..........but I believe they are around $900 (don't quote me) with the compressor (absolutely needed to actuate it). Seems to me a locker or spool in back with a posi up front might be a good compromise on cost and performance. Just my $.02

Gotta win the lottery so I can get that Dana 60 front and 14FF rear with 4.56's and lockers............

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com