Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Differential Questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BettyBurb, Jun 30, 2003.

1. BettyBurb

BettyBurb Registered Member

My 1988 suburban has 10 bolt. There is a gear noise that is most evident at between about 25 to 35 mph under light load, if I let off the noise goes away. Any ideas what it is ??? It is not real bad yet, but I am planning on towing this weekend, about 3000 pounds into the mountains and dont want a real problem.

I am thinking I will change differential fluid before I leave. I use synthetic in my 1999 Ranger, but have always used regular lube in the old vehicle. I am wondering if maybe it would be a good idea to put synthetic in the burb ??? I haven't in the past because I was afraid it might start leaking.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/advice.

2. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

What kind of noise? Popping, like the gov loc going out? Or more like a bearing noise?

3. BettyBurb

BettyBurb Registered Member

It is a whining noise, I would think a bearing. I am wondering if maybe heavier gear lube, like maybe 140 would help, especially or towing until I can find a good shop. Does anybody know of a good shop in the Loveland/Longmont Colorado area ???

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

my cherokee had that same problem, sold it to a friend who caught it early and it was a carrier bearing... pop the cover and shine a light in to see what they look like.. lots of metal shavings.. take care of stuff...

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

its pretty easy to check carrier bearing condition, just get under and try to move driveshaft side to side at the bearing, should have very little slop

if not that then sounds like gear noise in the axle and thats not good thing at all...
    ive noticed alot of broken 87 or 88 and up 10 bolt axles in the last couple or so years under pickups, especially 4x4 and with 5 speed,

good luck

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

You shouldnt have carrier barings on your pinion, and your pinion shouldnt move side to side at all. Its probablly bearings though, check it out before other things get wasted, you might only need a rebearing, but, assuming you have one, id replace that gov loc while your at it.

7. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

add mine to that list R72K5, mines already popping and on its way out, but i have the auto 700R4, not the 5-speed. plus, mines an 87.