Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

differential rebuild help!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lehtola, Aug 7, 2002.

1. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

After 2 years of riding around on my stock 3:42's in my Jimmy I' going to get it set up for 4:10's. A few questions however...I don't do gears so that begs the question...How much would a total rebuild for front and rear cost me? I've got 2 places I would consider doing it. One says I buy the parts, the other (4 wheel shop) gets the parts and does it. If I supply the parts, what do I need to get other than the ring and pinion? Help!!!

2. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

most installers want ring and pinion along with master kits (shims, bearings, and such).

3. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Most of them will want a complete set of shims, crush collar, and pinion seal. Since they're in there it might be a good time to replace both axle tube seals and perhaps some bearings.

For someone with the proper equipment (case spreader and hydraulic lift so you can stand up and work) it only takes a couple hours with a half hour lunch break. No matter how much you trust them make them give you all the old parts. There's no core on any of them and this will make them actually install everything and give you all the extra shims they didn't use.

I, myself, would take it to the place where you supply the parts. Most shops charge at least 150% for parts they use and they have a habit of needing more parts. That $3 pinion seal has a habit of magically becoming a $9 part.