Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Differential shop in San Diego?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skelly1, Mar 7, 2006.

1. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Anybody know of an excellent differential shop in SD? You know, a place you can bring in your rig to and tell them to change gears and add a locker, and they do it right the first time because they've done it a million times before? I won't do 4WP or ORW.

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

If you are not worried about money take it to PG Series. What is wrong with ORW?

Ira

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Not sure as I would never bring mine to a shop. I do know that most of the "off road" shops here in Temecula contract out that stuff to a guy from LA. Drivetrain Specialties is the only exception.

4. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

I don't know if anything's wrong with ORW or not. Just never got a good feel going in there about anything. I'm kindof OCD about working on my own stuff. I know a guy that used to work there and wouldn't let him take my wheels off my blazer let alone put a diff together. I have no hard feelings against ORW, just never got a good feeling. Lot's of 8 dollar an hour tweekers down in El Cajon. Maybe if I went down there, met the bible thumping owner, met his mechanics, maybe I would get the warm fuzzy, but I just don't have one yet. I had one buddy working at that other shop down there, not PG or 4WPW, but the one at Johnson and Main, who got fired because he was pissed that the boss was making him paint used shocks and call them new. Anyways, I don't want to start a pissing match with anybody about the off road shops in San Diego, I just want a tried and true place that knows what the people on this forum know about setting up diffs and what not. There used to be a shop called MIT, (mechanically inclined technicians), that had a good rep back when I lived in the area, but I'm not sure if they still exist or what.:bow: :bow:

5. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

So, Drivetrain Specialties is in Temecula and has a good rep? :bow: :bow:

6. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

M.I.T. hands down, they are in El Cajon off of Johnson. I have had lots of work done for me and my friends. They are reasonably priced and get it done in decent time.

7. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

From what I've heard. Never been there though. I do all my own Diff work

8. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

M.I.T. for sure. They did a 9 inch Ford for me and regeard my K-5. Jeff is the owner. They do quality work.

9. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

MIT is still at 1112 Pioneer Way in El Cajon, been there a long time. They are good. A lot of Jeep guys go there. (619) 579-7727

Another top shop in San Diego is ProGear in Kearny Mesa, they are a sponsor of our race truck and have done an excellent job for us. The owner, Mark Lintner is very knowledgeable you won't go wrong there. Tell him Ramsey told you to come by. (858) 571-1158

A third option is Hughes Differential Systems in the Sports Arena area. Jason Hughes used to be the top guy at Pro Gear and has had his own business for a couple of years. He is a personal friend and member of our race team. You will be very happy with his pricing and skills. Again tell him I sent you. (619) 298-3668

Regarding ORW, I have known Howard Hughes the owner for close to 20 years and know many of the people there from the top down. They have always treated me fairly and honestly, I would recommend ORW to anyone! Especially their main location in Kearny Meas.

10. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I did not take it as you were starting a pissing match. Just most of the people I have heard that have worked with ORW have not complained. I personally would rather do the work myself:D . I have never heard of MIT but they sound like a good shot for ya. Hope you get it fixed.

Ira

11. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Thanks all. I'll have pro-gear take a looksy since they are real close to my work. If I like them, I'll go with them. Otherwise, I'll talk to MIT, which is less convenient.:bow::bow::bow::bow: