Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

differential

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bleedchevy, Mar 23, 2004.

1. bleedchevy

bleedchevy Registered Member

What did most factory 10 bolts on an 1988 k5 come with for a differential, im looking into getting a lock right from powertrax from jegs, the have the 8.5 ring gear, 28 spline shafts, but they have them listed for an open carrier. for 195$ im not going to complain much.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Open the glove box and see if you can find "G-80" anywhere there. If you see G-80 you have a Gov-Lock and the LR won't work without a carrier change. FWIW most K5's seemed to get the Gov-lock...and it's a pile of crap.

Rene

3. bleedchevy

thanks, im going to cross my fingers in hope that i got lucky and dont have a gov lock, however if that is the case hello 14ff.

4. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Most were 28 spline and open differential with 3.42 gears. I'd pull the cover and look. You can count splines by removing the spider gears and looking at the side gears. If the RPO codes list G80 then it's got a grenade-lock as stated earlier. GU6 is the code for 3.42 gears and GT4 is the code for 3.73 gears.

I didn't know there was another MTU student here. BurbBoy, GMCLegacy, fly_n_hi_yukon, and myself are as well. There are a couple others but I can't remember their usernames. You're from Oakley, eh? I'm from Owosso.

5. bleedchevy

I think i seen your truck around town. yeah it has G80 listed so im going to probably put in the 14ff over the summer.

6. CyberSniper

Yeah, don't sink any money into a grenade-lock axle. You could stick it in the front axle though.

By any chance do you have a black or almost black K5 lifted 4" or so with rear blocks running 15x8 wheels with some kind of all-terrain looking tire?

By any chance was your ride up here from Spring Break at a spirited 85-95mph on I75? I paced one like described above somewhere around Grayling and my GPS said 101mph. The K5 would run out of gonads on the big hills and slow to 80 or so. That K5 had a couple guys in it they passed me five or six times on the way up. They'd stop every couple hours or something whereas I stopped once on US2 and then at The Pines there north of Baraga which was the last time I saw them.

7. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

its good to see a MTU student that doesnt own a j**p.

now if the snow would only melt so we could do some wheeling.

go for the 14bff, you will never look back and regret the decsion.

8. CyberSniper

Find me some rubber yet?

9. bleedchevy

yeah it was us, it likes to scream going on flatter suffaces, suck gas like a crazy mofo wether i drive 65 or 80 since i put in the motor and comp cam, i just bought a set of procomp mudterrians that are going to be on over easter weekend.