Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Differentials??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by backcountry, Jun 22, 2004.

1. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

Hello all!

I am having a hard time tring to figure out what type of traction devices to install in my front and rear end of my 1973 Chevy K10 Long-bed pickup.

Since alot of you guys drive in snow more tham I do I figured maybe you would have some ideas.

I will use the truck for mostly on road and snow conditions with occasional off-road trips.

I was thinking of maybe an Auburn Gear Limited Slip in the rear, and either an Auburn Gear Limited Slip or true Locker in the front with new axles and u-joints. Any suggestions???

Thank you all for your help!

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i have never driven in the snow, but that sounds about right to me since i've heard bad storys about fully locked trucks in the snow with the wrong driver

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My DD has a locker in the rear, trail rig has lockers in both ends.

I wouldn't have it any other way, and the snow hasn't bothered me yet.

4. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

My stepside has a detroit in the rear and it turns into a giant brown sit and spin as soon as the roads are slick. I grew up in Colorado, have driven in the white stuff all my life, and I won't venture out in a snowstorm in my truck without the front hubs locked in. I can't even imagine what it would be like with both ends locked. I would definately suggest either a limited slip or a selectable for the front.

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I would not use an Auburn unit, as they have cones instead of clutches and eat up the case.
    A good posi is an Eaton. They are rebuldable, and you can make them tighter with differrent clutch packs and springs.