Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Difficulites with 6" superlift kit.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Libtekguy, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Libtekguy

Libtekguy Registered Member

This is my first time installing a lift kit. I knew it would be tough, and it's no wonder that I've ran into an issue.

Sorry, I don't know the official names of most of the parts, so i'll describe them as much as I can.

The bolt and nut that is smack in the middle of the springs, (holds them together and provides the knob that goes into the hole on the axle spring plate.) well the nut bearly misses the hole on the top plate that the u-bolt nuts go on. This keeps the plate from sitting flush on the springs. I know that my springs are in the right direction (if there is one) because its the same distance from said nut to both spring eyes, and the shims are facing the right way (thick end forward). Has anyone else run into this problem? If so how did you get around it? I'm thinking I'm going to machine that hole bigger with the drill press, but I ran out of daylight so I will continue tomorrow.

I really just want to know if anyone has any better ideas before I start in again tomorrow morning.

Thanks for any and all help.

2. Libtekguy

Also, I think the y-pipe from the exhaust manifolds will get in the way of the front drive shaft. Any solutions, or am I just going to have to take it to an exhaust shop?

3. Libtekguy

And one more thing! This is a '89 Blazer, 350, 700r4, gm10 bolts.

4. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Don't modify the plate...... Make sure the hole in the plate isn't packed full of old dirt and mud. If it is, clean it out and try again. If it isn't you could gring the edges of the nut.

Is this the pad on the axle or the plate on top of the springs? the nut should be on the spring plate side.

5. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

take it to an exhaust shop. Then it is done once and done right. Usually not to expensive.

6. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Hey just checked,

If you are talking about the rear end springs, you have the springs on backwards. Thin side of the spring pack shim goes forward towards the driver. Thick end goes toward the rear bumper. This angles the pinion yoke up. That should correct your issue.

If it's on the fronts, thick side of shim faces radiator, thin edge towards the driver.

Manny

7. Libtekguy

It's the front I'm talking about. I havn't even started on the back yet! Thanks for checking though.

8. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

by the way, the nut and bolt in the springs is called the centering pin for future reference. and x2 on the exhaust shop. I tried to do mine myself, spent more money then a shop would have charged and Im still gonna have to take it in to get it done right.

9. Libtekguy

It is the plate on top of the springs, and the nut is on the spring plate side.

10. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Good, just gring the sharp edges of the nut if that is whats hitting. Also make sure it is hitting the nut and not the exess length of the bolt. I have had to shorten the bolt on a few by cutting the exess length off.

11. Libtekguy

Actually it is hitting the excess lenght of the bolt. It's about a whole centimeter off.

12. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Shorten the bolt. Simple as that. Grind or cut it flush to the top of the nut.