Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

difficult u-joints

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big dan, Jan 12, 2006.

1. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How hard should it be to press in new u-joints into the front drive shaft? i got 2 new joints for the cv part of my front drive shaft and i cant get them to go in. it looks like the caps are starting to deform the yoke when i try to press them in. i know they wont just fall in but i dont think they should be that tight either. does anyone know the oreilly part number so i can see if i got the right ones, or at least get the right ones next time?

2. trikstark5

trikstark5 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine had the same problem when he tried to replace his. His end caps were the wrong size. Not by much, but enough to be a pain in the butt. He went to NAPA and got the right size and they went in with no problem. Sorry, but I don't know the part number.

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

If you have the right ones, they can still be tough. More so for us rust belt dwellers. Cleaning the insides of the yokes really well, (rotozip with sand drum, or sandblast), makes life a lot easier going in.

4. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

thanks for the help guys. i took the joints back to the store and i had to look up the part number for them but i finally got the right ones and they pressed in no problem.