Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

difficulty of 3" body lift on suburban

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by xpndbl3, Nov 3, 2006.

1. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

Are there any tech articles or links of pictures of people doing a body lift on a burban? I'm assuming I'd have to use a lift to put it on. I noticed it looks like 2 body bolts under the truck are hidden, so would part of the floorboard need to be cut out near where the back seat is? Should I expect this to take 5 hours like an old silverado I did with some floor jacks and jackstands years ago or longer due to hidden bolts?

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I did a 1" in a little over an hour. Nothing to it. I would not do a 3", but that's just my opinion.

3. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

so there are no hidden bolts under the floorpan or anything? I can just zip them all off underneath the truck and lift it up?

4. cbbr

They were under the carpet in the back, but none was hard to get to.

5. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

alright which brand are you running cbbr? i'm trying to run 37s or 39.5s on a 6" lift without hacking much. I'll probably run a zero rate in the front if I have to, but the 3" body lift seemed to be the easiest approach. Any reason you say not to run one?

6. cbbr

5" crap front springs, ORD flip in the rear with a zero rate. 1" ORD body lift and bushwacker flares. 37" MTR's on H2's with no problem.

7. SUPERSUB87

SUPERSUB87 1/2 ton status

its simple really. higher center of gravity... sure they sound like a good idea in the beginning. im going to put one on anyways.. i bought one but havent put it on... also when your above a 2" body lift you have to cut the fan shroud and all that good stuff. but for mud bogging they are fine. when i put mine on im probably going to have 38.5's or 39.5's and probably some spacers so its more balanced. i use the whole "when you go taller, go wider" philosophy. but thats just me.

8. cbbr

9. SUPERSUB87

basically the higher you go... the more likely crap like that happens... and just think... his is about 7 inches. Wait... i havent figured it out... what in hell were you doing to get a rig with such a long wheelbase to go on its side:confused: :confused: :confused: ? i mean seriously. that must have been one hell of a rock. how did it feel... you know. the flipping... sorry to hijack just curious.

10. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

well i want to run 39.5 IROKs on my suburban. I have electric fans so i'm not really worried about it. Honestly if 6" lift and 1" body would clear 39.5s I'd do that, but not really sure if that would work either. I could do a zero rate as well if/as needed, but figured a bodylift wouldn't be a bad idea.

11. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I went with a 2" on my truck. Ive heard that some trucks will run into major issues, things like steering shafts too short, major mods to t-case shifter etc.

With the 2" I had to cut my fan shroud, and extended the tranny shifter. T-case shifter was just fine. Think I also had to extend 1 groundstrap. 2" is a good compromise IMO.

12. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

so a 2" body lift and 6" suspension lift would fit 39.5" iroks? or would i need a zero rate and no body lift?

13. SUPERSUB87

[​IMG]
    hows this??? i got this picture off of www.roughcountry.com kinda what mine would look like but with 42's

14. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

do you have a pic of yours with 42? and it's amazing how even those 39.5" tires look small on a suburban, I always feel like i'm lacking running 315/75R16 tires on my trck right now. I do love that greyish blue color though.

15. SUPERSUB87

worded it wrong... when i save up money fort the 42's and my nitto's $$$ wear out. sorry. if you really want a decent look for your burb i suggest getting some 37x13.5's they are perfect... they look sweet on a burb with a 6" lift. have you thought about trimming the fenders??? and going with some 38's... if you want big tires i would think that 39's would be the most for me... as for a dd they are very impractical.

16. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

ok i'll keep that in mind, we'll see what I end up doing for body lifts.

17. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

first off, if it has ever snowed where you are, budget plenty of time to put in your body lift. you will need to pull the carpet in the back to get the bolts out. if any break in the front you will need to cut into the floor above where the captured nuts are. I have had to do it on 3 out of 3 trucks so far. the bolts under the carpet are usually tack welded in to keep from spinning when they assemble the truck. bring a grinder. get the nut off the bottom before you grind the weld off, or you will have a heck of a time. You can do it with a floorjack but a lift is really nice.

I have a 3" on my woods truck. I had to adjust the T-case linkage, cut the fan shroud, E-brake cable doesn't reach anymore, and I hate how it looks. The good things are that they are a cheap way to get a few inches and its easier to fill the gas tank. more angle on the fill tube, it was flat before.

18. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

so really you're saying to skip a body lift? my truck was originally from california and I brought it over last summer and had it ziebarted underneath so nothing would be exposed to the elements. Still looks pretty mint under there.

19. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

If you aren't opposed to using cut out flares on the front fenders, combine it with an off-set zero rate, and pay attention to back spacing on your wheels you just might be able to get 39's under there without a body lift. Do you already have 6" springs? if not why not go 8" front springs?

20. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

sometimes they are a necessary evil. I don't like the way they look. But I have one on all my trucks. I had 6" springs and 35's. then 8" springs, cut-outs and 38's. then 8" springs, cut-outs, 3" body and 44's. I dont' know how I am going to fit 54's.:doah:

My DD has a 3" body lift to fit 33's. IFS lift kits are way to expensive.

If you really want 39.5's get them. bolt them up and see were you need to adjust. Cut-outs are nice, but don't hold up on the trail. I keep remounting mine because I'm convinced one of these days I will come home with all of them still attached. Yeah right. Get a zero rate. slightly longer shackles help also. then decide what is the least amount of body lift you can get away with. Good luck and post pics.