Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

diffs, tcases and trannys......(this is mind boggling)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lazerus, Dec 4, 2002.

1. lazerus

lazerus Registered Member

howdy all!
    OK. From the search and recent posts I gather that 99% of k5ers would not rebuild a 10 bolt.
    I am actually taking my lift off and am going to run 31x10.50 for the time being. My questions are-
    1. givin that the tires are 31s- do you think I should rebuild the 10 bolt diffs or find a 14bolt for the rear and a d44 for the front?
    2. if I do get some beefier diffs, does that just mean that now the diffs wont explode but the NP208 will? The NP208 needs rebuilding-so do I rebuild it or get something better?
    And remember, I have a 700r4. If I do all the above, is my 700r4 going to be safe?
    ohh me ohh my- what to do?

thanks

2. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

id just leave the 10 or 12. a 14 is gonna suck up to much gas if your going back to stock. how big a lift are you taking off. Im assuming it is returning to a dd

just my .02

nathan

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Depends what you want to run later... you said you are back to 31" tires for the time being. If you go to + 35" tires, then yes, get a 14bolt axle. A d44 will be fine upfront unless you plan to run huge tires. You can get a NP205 tacse which will be mch stronger than your 208... as for me, I just got my 208 rebuilt. And thne, your 700 should hold up if you geta tranny cooler. Just remember to LEave it in 3rd gear if you are dirving below 60-65mph.. only put it in OD if you are doing highway driving.

4. lazerus

lazerus Registered Member

thanks for the input fellows!

I think that I am gonna leave it at stock height and just use the 31's for a good while. Get a good solid daily driver.
    I dont do any real wheelin- not giant rock crawlin or anything. I think that the limit of the 31's will keep me from blowing a diff. (I hope!)
    BTW, funny that tranny cooler should come up--I just installed the biggest one I could afford to buy!