Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Digi camera

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, May 10, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hey, in the next few months we are looking for a digital camera. We have a digital palmcorder, but the clarity isn't as good as I want.
    What are some digi camera's that have really good zoom and focus close up, and far away? This will be a family camera, so it has to be good in and outside...but I will also be using it, and I want it to be clear when I zoom in.
    What are some recommended brands for reallygood-great camera? I know there has been other posts, but I think they were asking the best bang for the buck.

The main thing here is clear zoom up close (so i can take big pictures of say... Q-jet parts without blurring up when it gets close (like I wanted to yesterday)
    Also, it has to have a viewing screen (I think most do these days) so I can see exactly what I am taking a picture of, and how it turned out.

Thanks.

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

ive had good luck with canons. I just bought the gf This one for her birthday and it looks like its a really damn good camera for less than a $150. I have a powershot A95 and i dont even know how to use the half the features it has, but damn it takes some very very nice pictures and has some very cool features such as manual focus for taking up close pictures and not bluring them out. This is mine.

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

my only advice if you can even still find a good one like this but... get one with AA batterys.

use can use nicd rechargables witch work great and in a pinch can but reg ones at any store ( just dont use the screen)

the cool ones with the little square batts I personaly dont like a cams no good with out power!

4. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I just bought a Sony cybershot a while back. Great cam.. and my niece has one, as well as another brand. The Sony's pic are much better than the others. Not sure how much zoom you're really after.. but the clarity will be there, no doubt.

I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

5. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I have a kodak 4 meg...it's ok. My next camera will be an SLR.

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

the higher the optical zoom the clearer the zoom, if you use digital zoom it starts getting grainy

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I'm got a Samsung with a 128mb card :D

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I have a Sony MVC-FD75 [​IMG] Older camera, but still takes great pics. Easy too use.

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Thaanks Jason, I like the one you have...not bad price either.

So I would want a camera with a high optical zoom? So optical zoom is better than digital zoom then.
    What does megapixels mean, and how does it relate to the camera? Anything I should know about the cameras? I haven't looked much so I don't have many questions...
    Is there a limit to what MB (or GB) size of memory card the camera can hold? Or is it up to how much you want? I like this one... wow!

I also want it to be clear in big size (relative to the PC) When I upload my pictures from the palmcorder to the computer, I have to shrink it from 100%, to 60% to have it fairly clear. Otherwise it's really blurry... I think its 1600x1200pixels when I get it from the camera to the PC...then I have to shrink it to around 640x400 or whatever CK5's limit is... then its clear. Jason's camera (willywanter) is pretty clear from what I remember when he hasn't resized the pictures...hopefully he will chim in what camera he has.

Thanks guys...

10. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i know most of the answers you could want to ask. maybe tomorrow you can message me on MSN messanger or what ever service it is you have. Also if you see a camera you like, go to www.dpreview.com and look for it there, you could find more stats and sample pictures than you'll ever want.

mexa pixles are determined by resolution, so if you have an 800x600 photo, then you can multiply 800 by 600 and get 480,000 or about 1/2 million pixles in that photo or 1/2 megapixle, so if you had a camera like mine that does 2048 x 1536 that comes out to 3,145,728 or 3.1 Mega pixles, also yes any optical zoom will be crystal clear, but if you use digital zoom, its kinda like zooming into an image with computer software, where the more you zoom the more grainy it gets

as far as storage goes you can almost always buy more for your camera depending on what type it takes.

i'll attach some sample sizes for you and you can choose what size you think you need the most

THESE ARE ALL GRAINY BECAUSE I USED A SMALL PICTURE and zoomed it in, kinda like i took a 2 mexapixle camera and used digital zoom to make it 6

1 megapixle
    http://www.ck5junk.com/pics/temp/1.jpg

2 megapixle
    http://www.ck5junk.com/pics/temp/2.jpg

3 megapixle
    http://www.ck5junk.com/pics/temp/3.jpg

4.1 megapixle
    http://www.ck5junk.com/pics/temp/4.1.jpg

5.2 megapixle
    http://www.ck5junk.com/pics/temp/5.2.jpg

6.4 megapixle
    http://www.ck5junk.com/pics/temp/6.4.jpg

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hey, alright...I should be on tonight... what time is it there? So I can find out a rough timezone...I think its 4:56, because we are an hour behind (I think?)
    It's 5:56 here...Anyways, I will be on anytime around 9:15-10:00, then 11:00+ until I get tired.

So for example, jasons camera:
    http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=10468
    Has 5.0 megapixles.... so that means the maximum size picture will be a bit smaller than your 5.2 megapixle picture you posted... Is 5.0 the maximum size for clear picture, or is it the maximum size until its too hard to make out any detail?

Thanks!
    One more Q...how many megapixles is your camera, Branndon?

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

this guy?
    http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/sony-cybershot-dsct1-reviews.html

13. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

the megapixle rating is the maximum size it will take, it will not take pictures that come out grainy unless you use too much digital zoom, so say you got a 5 megapixle camera with 4x optical zoom, and never used digital zoom, your pics at 5 mega pixles zoomed in fully (optical) would be as clear as ones taken at 1 mega pixle and not zoomed it. also all cameras also work backwards, so my 3 megapixle camera can also be set to be used as a 2 or 3 megapixle to save disk space and maybe just take pics for the web and not for printing.

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay awesome thanks.
    I'll talk to you tonight.