Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

digital camera for the trail

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mercercadet, Jul 18, 2002.

1. mercercadet

mercercadet 1/2 ton status

hey all,

just wondering if anyone had any good or bad experiences with digital cameras on the trail. I was thinking about getting one to get some video and stills while riding and I wanted a unit that will hold up fairly well or that has a pretty good warranty plan ( kinda like a new jeep /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif )....

2. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I wish I had a digital camera to take on the trail.

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I have an Olympus Camedia Digi cam that work paid for. I use mine every day in all conditions and it's held up well. Mine is a factory refurb unit too. With a 16mb card and low resolution I can take 300 pictures and then just use a flashpath disk to upload them. Fast, simple, and durable. I love my cam, and the best part is, it was free. Oh yeah, and it's only 1.3 Megapixel which works perfect for online stuff.

4. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color="blue"> Get a Sony DSC-F1 ..... new on e-bay for right around $100 ..... no video capabilities, but a much better shudder and lens that those big and bulky Mavicas .... very small and will hold up to abuse ...... Mine fell of of the fender of a trailer I set it on when I went to register my deer 2 years ago ............ I realized it was missing and remembered I had set it on the fender ......... went back to the hunting trailer and found it in the ditch 50 yards down the road ... One little scuff on it and it works perfectly to this day ......Easy as hell to upload to your computer too, the software is super easy to install and use as well ........ I can load a ton of pictures to my computer in no time ! I love mine and just got one for my brother in law for his birthday too ......... It's a nice little camera !</font color>

5. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I used to have a Casio QV-300. It was nice for outside stuff but sucked major butt inside. I now have a Sony DSC-P50. That camera is way cool. It will take movies and pictures. The only bad thig is that there is no sound for the movies. Check out my webshots page.

All teh MOAB 2002 pics were taken with the Casio. All the other pics are from my Sony.

P.S. With any digital camera,
    buy rechargable batteries (or buy
    stock in Energizer.)

6. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

i have this digital camera from fuji it is kick ass it holds a good amount of pictures and has video capabilities.I love it because the pics are pretty good quality.

7. NE79

NE79 1/2 ton status

i've got a sony handycam, takes video with sound, pictures(not great resolution, though), and uses hi-8mm tapes for digital recording(read cheap media). I love it and it's real easy to put pics and video on the computer.

8. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

ive got a sony cyber-shot DSCP50...its sweet...uses a memory stick, my 128 meg memory stick can hold about 550 pics at decent resolution...

also takes mpegs but without sound

this is the one thats going on the ucp ride in august...should take some nice pics

Later

9. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Are the memory sticks a pain to deal with? How do they work?
    (seems to me that some of the memory stick cameras are cheeper, and there are more of 'em)

Our Body shop uses a big-ol' Sony with 3.5 floppys. I've used it and like the floppy disk thing, plus they are cheep and you can store 'em for-ever. I like all the other features too (zooms, big view-finder, easy to use and figure out, ect...). But the cameras expensive, hard to let go of that much chash, just to post pics ya-know...

I've been dragging my feet on this, but I really need to get a camera. So keep the ideas/thoughts rolling please. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Also, what kind of features does a guy look for when selecting a digital camera?

10. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

nope...memory sticks are very easy to deal with...you actually have two setups for putting the pics on the computer also. you can plus usb directly in to the camera or get a 3.5 floppy adapter that the memory stick goes into(thats what i have, it just seemed easier)

price wise they are fairly affordable...the place where i work sells them so i got mine at a hell of a deal but i think it retailed around 399 or so...might even be less than that

Later

11. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

So you like the memory sticks over the 3.5s then.

I think I'm looking at camras in the $300 range, as best as I can tell, really don't know enough about them to even put a doller amount to it.
    I'm sure I'd put it to good use, I trip across lots of stuff at work and daily dealings that I wished I would have had a camera handy.

12. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

oh yeah makes the actual camera a smaller package and easier to deal with...

ill see if somehow i can take a pic of my camera with a mirror so you can see what im talking about

Later

13. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

i've had a kodak dc280 for about 2.5 years now...thing is awesome...takes beautiful outdoor pics, not bad indoor pics, and ok close up pics...if you want it for the outdoor setting, its a great camera...i paid a little over 600 for it with an additional 32mb memory card...you can get the new version for like 300 now....

but its durability is amazing....i did a trip two summers ago, flew to seattle, biked home to DC..took a month, 3400 miles...camera sat in the handlebar bag the entire trip, got real banged up and worn from stuff rubbing it all the time, even dropped it about 10 feet onto the pavement once...
    damned thing still works like it was new....
    and they have an updated version out thats about 300 bucks, its their "outdoor" model, its completely waterproof, and made to be much more robust than mine...
    i dont know why it needs to be more robust, but it is....