Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

digital camera suggestions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigbadchev84, Nov 27, 2006.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

I am going to be buying the wife a new digital camera for x-mas since our last one was stolen, it was a konica minolta dimage x50 i got from dell, i was pleased with it except for the digital zoom. I am wanting to get some opinions on what i should get, All i know so far is that i want an optical zoom one and something $250.00 or under.

2. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I have a nikon coolpix and love it. It takes awesome pictures. People even coment when looking at my pictures how clear they are. It was dropped (not by me) this past weekend and broke the little plastic lens cover thing off. Shouldnt cost more than $20 to fix and it was dropped many many times before that.
    -Harrison

3. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

i have a fuji finepix e510 for work and my wife has a sony 8.2 with touch screen, i got the sony on a special deal after it fell off a truck, but the fuji takes pretty good pictures, see any of my posts with pics of my 79 or go to my gallery, i think we paid 240 for it, but they have newer models now with higher resolution for less cash...

4. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

Just dont get a Panasonic.

5. SLOK5

SLOK5 1/2 ton status

I dont think you can generalize a brand like that. I just got a Panasonic DMZ-TZ1 and is the best camera in its class. Has 10x OPTICAL zoom, anti shake mode, 5 mp, tons of functions and got it for 229.00 at Circuit City after I price matched with Radio Shacks pricing......Its a great camera but you also will need a 1-2 gig HIGH SPEED 10mps SD card to be able to store more pics and video....you wont be disappointed in this camera! I had a Sony S50 before and this one is way better!

6. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

If you want to spend some more $$$ check out the Sony Cybershot line.

I got mine with 4 year warranty/gb memory stick for around $360...I don't remember the model number. I've thrashed this camera and it's still ticking. The battery last's a long time also.:laugh:

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Thought of this thread when I spotted this review over on cnet.com :cool1:

8. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

go to www.shopzilla.com they have price comparisons for every camera place on the internet for every camera out there. You can narrow by mp or brand and Im sure a few others things, thats where I am looking for a camera for my gf..........it is still taking me a while though, cant make up my mind.

Regards,
    Remington

9. 54inches

54inches 1/2 ton status

I have a Sony wc-50, and it is my 3rd sony. These cameras are EASY to use and take GREAT pictures! There is a 30 and a 70 and a 100, but they are all about the same. Several family members and friends of mine have bought the same camera after seeing the performance of mine.....I paid 250, plus memory and bag.....

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dude, check this one out.. limited time only special...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16830111054

10x optical, 7.1MP Olympus for $249.

Newegg.com has cool specials all the time. Whenever I am in the market for something like this, I just go there and search by price. Start at my high ($250 in this case) and work my way down from there. Once I find a model that looks good, then I do an internet price comparison. After shipping, newegg tends to be cheapest... but if its not, I just order it from somewhere else. That is, unless that other place is fly-by-night. Newegg is GREAT about fast shipping and returns...

j

11. 54inches

54inches 1/2 ton status

On electronics, I would NOT define price as your first point, beacause you will get what you buy! Olympus has some fair products, but the good products are FEWa nd far between!

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

unless you are Daddy Warbucks... if you have a maximum price... it IS a maximum price. Don't see why searching that way isn't usefull. If you search some other way, and find the best camera ever... but its $999.99... how usefull was the search? You ain't spending that much, so you just wasted your time.

Conclusion on digitalcamerainfo.com,

I wouldn't suggest that this is the best camera ever made... or even a "great" camera... but for the amatuer user (ie anyone not getting paid for their photos) it has some excellent features and is under the stated price point.

j