Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

digital multi-meters

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by iwaxmyjimmy, Apr 6, 2007.

1. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

I need one bad. I keep having to borrow one from the guy that works in the bay across from me. any opinions? I want to keep it under $250, but I need something that is gonna last. I've never had a need for one till now. I do alot DTCs and they require the use of them most the time( pretty sure yall knew that already).

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

3. iwaxmyjimmy

Ive got a catologe from the snap-on guy that has a bunch of them and I really just dont know what all is a good brand and that much about them besides how to use them.

4. ryoken

That why I said what I did...

Fluke is the chit when it comes to multimeters... Pretty sure they're who make Snap On's.. Confedneck will confirm or deny that...

5. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

Checkout Fieldpiece, model HB-74, around $175, it does not have auto ranging that is the only thing I do not like about it. No backlight either, OK two things I do not like.

I have had mine for over ten years, use it constantly every day and have never had a problem with it.

6. oldtoyboyd

oldtoyboyd 1/2 ton status

7. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

tell ya what, you decide if you want auto ranging or not, and i'll tell you the easiest multimeter to use...

if you want auto ranging... go with an eedm504, if you dont (this is my preference) get an eedm503

our meters are made by TPI, test products incorporated.. not fluke
    i've used fluke, central and bluepoint meters, and all while i was a tech, and my personal preference is bluepoint... they're simple, easy to use, and durable as all heck...

the first blue point i got, was 10 years old when i got it, that was 5 years ago, i used it for 3 years, and gave it to my best friend when he started to install for best buy, and he uses it daily... works like a champ..
    FIVE year warranty... cant beat it...

and you can get temp adapters and rpm adapters for these as well.. also a clamp-amp probe...

check em out, they're in your price range and you won't be dissapointed..

8. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I'll second the vote for a fluke, you'll never need another one. Fluke is to DMM's as Bose is to audio. Clamp-ons that will measure DC current are really nice when you'e trying to figure out the startup current spike of electrical accessories like fans and whatnot.

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

third Fluke

thats what we use at work, and we beat the crap out of them, dropping them and stepping on them and such, never seen one break.

I also own my own that was donated to me by uncle sam:)

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I've got a Fluke 87 and love it. It's been certified for six years and never had any issues. The 179 is also a very good piece and in your price range, they are generally just under $200. The 77 is probably more popular and will run just under your $250 cut off. We had 77s in the Marine Corps and they held up to us:D

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have the Matco MD590. No idea who makes it for Matco, but I love that thing. Big easy to read numbers, auto ranging, it always does well by me.

[​IMG]

And its cheap. less than $150.

12. Confedneck79K30

< trying to figure out why it sounds like a petstore of parrots here...

"fluke fluke fluke"

just wondering have you guys ever used anything other than a fluke? or do you use a fluke because someone told you they were better? imho they aren't worth the extra money, they dont do anything different...

13. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I'll say it again Fieldpiece HB-74.

HB74.jpg

HB74.jpg

14. ryoken

I actually run a Snappy... Our old shop one was a Fluke and it was a great meter that took a beating..

Meters aren't about function, they all do the same things mostly, it's durability..

15. iwaxmyjimmy

The eletrical guru at the dealership I work at told me to go get a craftsman professional. Hes got one and I've used it maybe 30 times in the past week (them DTC charts take for ever sometimes), so I havent really been able to abuse it. I'm very rough on stuff, just look at my K-5, the dodge dakota I had before that, the 02 sport trac, and the 05 Ranger I had. So I need something to last. I figured if I go ahead and pony up for a $250 it alt to last and if it dont I will be a pissed SOB. Also what is auto ranging?

16. Confedneck79K30

auto ranging, like volts to millivolts etc... ohms to megaohms etc.. automatically or would you rather select the range?

17. iwaxmyjimmy

Well in that case if I can save about $50 going with one without auto range, why not. I'm not to lazy to where I can't turn a dial.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  18. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Says the Snap-On dealer...:rolleyes:

Yes I've used others including Blue Point, Craftsman, Craftsman Pro, Radio Shack, Cen-Tech, and a few others. Do you think maybe so many people recommend them because they are a quality piece that will not let you down? As far as price, even the 87 I have is cheaper than a Snap-On one on the truck.

19. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Fluke 27 here at home. At work we have all kinds but I mostly use the 87 True RMS meters. Better suited towards RF equiptment.

As far as the 27 goes it is probably more $$ than you want to spend, but you will not find a meter that is more hardened. It is as close to unbreakable as they get. Mine has taken a few good falls and keeps in ticking. Didn't even damage the LCD.

For general work you probably can't beat one of the Craftsman PRO meters.

20. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Noone likes Sperry Rand?????????? I've been using the same one for over 10 years. Its been dropped, kicked, sat in water for days (leaky tool box), and generally ignored till needed. I just wish the leads were a little longer.:doah: