Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Digital Picture Quality

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 79Stomper, Jan 30, 2005.

1. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

In the market for a new digital camera. I see all these different megapixels in all the listings. All I want is a good digital camera, that is small and can be used on the trail for those "KODAK MOMENTS". Any suggestions? I have always been fond of the Sony Mavica because of its versatility. Recommendations needed as far as megapiaxel and maybe various pictures with different camera for quality assurance purposes and what you think about yours.

Thanks,
    James

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

will do, i'll post a 6 mega pixle pic and a 3 mega pixle, i think 2-3 would be all you need

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I have a Canon Powershot A75

It's 3.2MP and will take 640x480 videos with sound

Uses compact flash

Should be around $160-$180

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

kodak easy share cx7530 5 megpix. radioshack had best price in my area. and thay had a 3year warrenty for 60 extra over manf warrenty. been realeasy to use.

6. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I have a 4 mega pixel kodak. If I bought again I'd probably get a 3mp.

7. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've got 2 Mavicas, both of which I love. The first I got in 2000 and have shot about 2500 photos with it and only returned it for repair when it was new after a canoeing accident. It got soaked and I was dumb enough to turn it on. Fixed free just shipping charges. Anyway the other one is almost as old and burns the image to a CD. Holds loads of photos and anyone can look at them on their computer CD/DVD drive. The first one uses floppies. Anyone used to be able to look at them but Floppy drives are getting allot less popular now.

Anyway both are great. Though I'm thinking of getting the Digital Rebel so I can swap lenses.

8. Quaddawg

Quaddawg 1/2 ton status

I have had quite a few digi's (work related) I love the Olympus CO models.. but they are a bit expensive and complicated for casual trail use.. I recommend a small, but quality camera with at least 3 megapixels... 4 or 5 is better... like power from an engine, don't always need it, but it is good to have... so you can crop and blow up photos later..

PowerShot by Canon

CyberShot by Sony I think

or the smaller Olympus offerings..

You will want as much zoom as you can afford, believe me on that....

9. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I bought a pocket size Sony camera before Christmas so I have one with me most of the time. It's 4 Mega pixel and is real handy. I bought my wife one for her Birthday last week along with some nice furniture for her gazebo. Hers was only 20 bucks at Wally-world and it fits in a pocket and takes 640X480 which is perfect for web posting and E-mail which is what she was wanting one for.

More is better when it comes to pixels and storage. I'm an amateur photographer since I got my first Canon A-1 at the BX in Guam. Composition is more important than most anything else. IMO anyway.

10. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I bought an Olumpus stylus 300, love it. Check out my webshots for the pics, but ignore the blurry ones, 99.9% of those were user error because i was paranoid about getting it dirty and/or greasy. Now after dropping it in a mud hole and spilling gear lube on it, i dont care what happens, and it takes much better pics than it did while holding it with two fingertips and my nose:D Im glad i bought the water-resistant one.

11. k51989

k51989 Registered Member

i got a kodak easyshare 7330 3.1 mp at wally world $150 at about christmas and i love it. goes through batteries kinda fast if you use the bigger screen instead of the viewfinder. comes with usb cord to download to computer. im happy with it.

12. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

kodak, canon, olymipus to name a couple brands
    3MP for sure to print (does decent 8x10's, mainly 4x6's though)
    4MP I think for a regular user may be a bit much and requires more disk space and larger cards

That said I have a 2.3MP Kodak 3600somethingDX with color video and sound (it in quicktime format though), uses inexpensive and durable compact flash cards and it has the USB docking station which is the SH!T
    If you can find one that has a docking station, even if its another $75 bucks get it, its nice, put the camera on the base tap the connect button, it doesn't kill the batteries unloading the pics by cable and no card readers to mess with. If you use rechargable batteries like I did for awhile the base also (usually) recharges the batteries in the camera. The docking station will be highly missed when I get a new Canon EOS rebel digital (actually the Kodak will stay in the trucks/garage for everything, the Canon will be my work/event camera since I have a couple EOS's and several lenses (SLR camera)).

Kodak with a docking station is my vote, I think canon has a couple that does that, my mom's olyimpus is nice and is very high quality but damn that thing goes though batteries FAST! (and she doesn't use the cable, she has a card reader).

13. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

What you want to buy all depends on how you would use the camera. If you want still stots (objects not moving) any low price camera with a mp range of 2-3 ($120-300)will work. If you want action shots, mud flying trucks moving etc. A reletivly more expensive camera will have to be purchased, you would need to ask an experienced retailer about this one, not just some part timer that works after school. These would usually run from 300-450$ depending on the features. Some of these cameras now even feature a low quality videocam inside the camera itself. You would just need to ask the reseller about them.

14. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Second this. Mine is tough as a nail. Had it for a couple of years and I have taken about 5000 pics. It is very easy to use and I take it camping, fishing and everywhere else.