Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dilema Dilema...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chaka454, Apr 5, 2002.

1. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

I just replaced my axles, I put a 14 bolt 9.5" in the back and a Dana 44 up front, the 14 bolt has a gov. lock so far it's worked pretty good for me, I just came accross a 14 bolt corp. 10.5" wich one is better in you guys opinion? the guy is asking 250 for the 14 bolt corp. is this too much or is it a fair price, I dont know what gears he has in it and he doesn't either, he doesn't even know what this thing came out of but I've read many posts here that the 14 bolt ff is better than the 14 bolt sf, what should I do?

2. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

for me , the sf 9.5 , but everyvody else wil say 10.5 ff

3. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

Why should I keep my sf, or why would everybody else say that the ff is better, I was looking at the new eaton posi unit, they run around $365 for the sf, and the guy told me that the new units are 1000% better than the old eaton wich is what I have the old one but if I keep my sf I might put the new eaton on.

4. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

ok it really depends on what kind of wheeling u do , the ff is stronger but way heavier i run a beefed 12 bolt cuz my truck has a 305 and i like to go fast in the desert . gov locks are crap , all of em in my opinion , including any limited slip that has clutches . the only problem i would have with the sf is the fact that it is an sf and if your bearing goes it tears up your shafft ... and some other things that i cant think of right noe cuz im on drugs from wisom teeth remoobal/........

5. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

The main reasons are because if you break the C-clip or an axle in a SF you loose the wheel and axle. If you break an axle is a FF, you keep going.

You already stated the 10.5" R&P in a FF bigger=stronger

I am not sure but I thought the SF had smaller diam Axles too. Albeit they are both 35 spline.

ARB makes a air locker for the SF, not the FF.

Detroits are available in a FF OPEN CARRIER.
    Not sure if Detroits are available for a SF or not.

Good luck.

6. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

Hmmmmmmm I still dont know what to do, I do go mudding once in a while but I dont mud too hard, my K5 is my daily driver so it sees alot of freeway, I should be fine if I dont offroad too much and just keep my sf right, why should I break a c-clip when I only go offroading once in a while right?

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you don't wheel that much, and you don't run big HP and big tires, the SF should be fine. If you plan on big tires, big power, low gears, and nasty terrain then I say FF. I am putting in an FF this summer. 4.56 gears and welded diff. But I plan on alot of rocks, 35-37" tires, and some good HP. Also I got the FF for a good price, and components for it are cheaper then the SF. The detroit locker for the FF is only $350 or so. I was going to get an SF, big I figured I might as well just go big and not have to worry about breaking anything. I paid $200 for my FF, but $250 isn't bad. Especially if it has a gear ratio you want and is an open carrier.

8. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

Well I run 35's I am running 75 @ 2900 or 3000 rpms is that good or not?

9. Hossbaby50

A SF will handle 35" tires prety easy. If you decide to go with a bigger tire, high HP motor, and alot stupid pedal then the you might push the SF to the limit. You gear ratio assuming you don't have overdrive should be 4.10, which is a good gear for a daily driver and offroader with 35's. If you plan on running 38"+ tires and alot of power an stupid pedal I would say switch to the FF. If not, don't bother. THe FF is nice, and will handle anything you can through at it. 4.10 is also a common ratio in FF's so if you decide to switch to an FF then try and find a 4.10 open carrier FF if you want a detroit locker, and if you like the gov-lock, then find a 4.10 gov-lock axle.

10. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

Actually that's why I have 4:10s so I guess I'm sticking to my sf for now, I do plan on going with bigger tires so I will buy an ff and rebuild it completely so it could be ready thanks for the info.

11. Hossbaby50

That is what I am doing. I have a 10 bolt, and I have spare axle shafts so I can offroad it all I want with my 32's. But I plan on 35-37" so I bought a 14bFF and am outfitting it with 4.56 gears, and a welded diff until I can afford a detroit locker. I have overdrive so 4.56 won't kill me to bad on the highway.

12. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

why should I break a c-clip when I only go offroading once in a while right?

<hr></blockquote>
    Mine broke on the street and I'm not stupid with the skinny pedal either. The main reason you should stay with your SF is because YOU JUST PUT IT IN./forums/images/icons/wink.gif and another reason is because you said that you go muddin ONCE in a while. Muddin isn't too hard on your axles so you should be fine.

FYI I got my FF with 4:10 gears and an open diff from the local pick a part for $95. All I did was change the brakes, installed a detoit and put it in.