Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dilema.. Vote

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am in a dilema and want peoples votes and opinions. I already have 1 Optima Redtop in my truck. I want to add another battery. My options are to add another Optima Redtop for $50 or get a Deep Cycle wetcell battery for $20. I was going to run my winch of the Deep cycle to help with my lack of alternator power but I do love my Optima. Money is a little short right now so I was leaning toward the Deep Cycle but /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I run an M12000 Warn so this thing pulls alot of amps when I run it.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If all you want to do is run a winch off of it, isn't a deepcycle pretty much the only choice?

I just understand the deep cycles handle wide variations in discharge/recharge much better than a "car battery".

Don't think they like being hooked up to an alternator all the time though, so I guess you'd want to be able to limit when it's being charged.

With new battery design even the "standard" batteries perform almost as well as deep cycles in typical deep cycle applications don't they?

3. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I am far from a battery expert, but I thought that deep cycle batteries were designed for a constant, long, low current draw - as in a trolling motor or a radio and an overnight low amperage (2 amp) charge rather than the big drain of a winch and rapid charge of an alternator /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Ugly Blazer is correct. Deep cycle batteries are for use in small amp draw over a long period of time. Using it for a winch would hurt it. Red top all the way. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Man if you can get an optima for $50, go for it! That sounds like a great deal to me.

6. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Where would you find that deal?