Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dilema w/ installing 52's in front...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Poohbair, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Dilema w/ installing 52\'s in front...

So this is what I am pondering w/ the front 52's. If you move the front hangar forward 4", then you also move the front axle forward 2"...which is what I want. Problem is that this also leaves you w/ a piss poor shackle angle unless you also move the shackle mount forward 2".
    However, if you only move the front hangers forward 2", you are left w/ a good shackle angle, but the front end stays in the stock location...
    I have tire/firewall clearance issues so I would really like to get the frontend forward 2", but it looks like a big PITA to move the shacklemouns forward on the frame... Does anyone else have an option here w/o buying a zero rate... I am way to cheap for that!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Let me know what you guys think...

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: Dilema w/ installing 52\'s in front...

drill your spring perches and move the axle 1.5" forward that way. Gives you a better approach angle and your better firewall clearance.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Or just move your shackle mounts. See the pics in my webshots under the album "Got shackle angle?" for details. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Moving the shackle mount forward is simple. Unbolt it, drill two holes for the bolts, cut a larger hole for the middle of the mount, and blt it back on. 45 minutes per side would be my guess. I haven't done it yet, but it's on the list. Hmm...Maybe I'll just get out there and do it now...heh /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

5. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Run 56's like im going to.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

always got to start crap don't you? I still say drill the spring perches and only move the mount 2" forward. Will create a better approach angle. If you move the front mount 4" forward your approach will be worse than it likely is now.

7. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

Check your e-mail pooh...the angle is not as bad as you think.

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    always got to start crap don't you? I still say drill the spring perches and only move the mount 2" forward. Will create a better approach angle. If you move the front mount 4" forward your approach will be worse than it likely is now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, Im just offering up another approach. I like to say that im thinking outside the box.

On the approach angle thing, I hit my front end MORE with the mounts in the stock spot and the axle in the stock spot than I do now. Actually I dont think the approach angle changes, if anything it gets a tad bit better since the frame is curving up where the mounts go. And my shackle angle is semi-decent with the 52's up front, If I actually made some longer shackles I would have more travel up front than I can use. Hell I already have enough travel, my 14" Travel Race runners are all used up.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I was joking about starting stuff /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif as far as approach angle, I was under the impression 52s hurt approach a little. Either way I say drill the spring perches. Better approach angle is always a good thing. I will do this whenever I get the energy to unbolt the damn axle and do it.