Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dilema...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broncoman6524, Dec 16, 2006.

1. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

ok so ive had my truck a little over a year now (84k5 350/400) so far ive put a new motor in it and a new tranny. MY parents are now wanting me to sell my "piece of ****" and get a new truck thats more reliable and gets more mpg.:mad: I honestly can say that i hate new trucks..hate. they tell me that everytime they turn around the truck is broken..heres to the best of my memory what ive done to it.

New tires (old were shot)
    tranny
    motor (destroyed cam, no oil rings, low hp)
    seals in rear end.
    u-joints
    starter x3..mud:haha:
    ripped tow hook off bumper
    pressure line for P.s. bc i rubbed on belts x2

honestly this is truly all thats broke on the truck...the tranny and motor were on their way out when i got it. and the rest seems mostly to be just maintence! WTF!? it my mom bitchin at my dad about this **** and hes too much of a pussy to say anything. yes i know this sounds bad lol. wehn he was my age he had a cj on 38g-hawgs and blew up **** REGULARLY (weekly) and he says to me that im "too hard on my truck" btw it hasent seen any wheeling in about 3 months...

So the good things ive done to the truck
    alpine head unit and 6x9s
    33s aal
    mildly built 350
    door/window seals
    painted/fixed grill
    workin on fixing rust
    basically put my heart and soul sweat and tears into this damn thing. and if you havent noticed im slightly angered right now...:haha:

ah well rant off...any feedback :D btw if it matters im 17

if i do end up getting another one...i already found it. its a k20 14bff 35 bfg muds...newer 350m/350t :D basically restored...5000:D

2. merace19

merace19 1/2 ton status

Sounds like your young. So tell them the truck is safer in a wreck and you are not temped to go fast and possibly wreck or hurt someone. And that 44" tires would be the safest thing you could add to your truck next? :)

3. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

definately NOT safer in a wreck.. air bags, abs just to name a few features...

it is however, cheaper to repair his vehicle without truck payments, and unless someone is willing to make the payments for him, they can't tell him what to buy...

4. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Who is paying for repairs, Car payments, insurance, maintenance?

If the answer is you. do whatever you want.

If the answer is them then do what will make them happy even if it costs them more money!!!

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Who's paying for it??...

If your the one who bought the truck, and keep it insured and registered,and maintained,I don't think they have much say in what type of vehicle you should have...however,if your parents are footing the bills,I can see why they might be getting annoyed with your truck..:rolleyes:

I too much prefer older vehicles..yeah,no air bags,or other modern equipment,so chances are I might get killed in my old 82 K20 if I get hit,but I feel safe in it--and all the other trucks like it I've owned..I feel more likely to get injured or killed in my Ford Contour,its small,and no match for a full sized vehicle in an accident..air bags or not!

I like being able to raise a hood,SEE what I'm looking at,and know how to fix it should problems arise on the road!..I consider myself a decent mechanic ,at least on the older trucks and cars I've owned...but I'm LOST under the hood of anything newer than 1990,and know little about how these new vehicles run,with computers everywhere,and a jillion wires and sensors..makes me feel obsolete, and stupid !..everything I know about cars is aincient history now!:doah:

For this reason I feel much more vulnerable in my Ford Contour,despite it being modern,having air bags,etc..if that car popped a radiator hose,or needed an altenator on the road, you would likely have to be TOWED to a garage,and probably have to RENT a car to continue your journey--you cant even SEE either of those items,they'd take hours to repair,and even the hoses are weird with a "T" fitting molded in that most likely no part stores would have on the shelf (look expensive too!:doah: )...you need to take half the engine apart just to find these items,never mind fix them!..that means $$$$$$$ at the repair shop!..

If that were to happen in my GM trucks,it would be an inconveinience,but I could FIX the dam thing in a half hour no sweat,right on the side of the road if need be!...my Ford I might as well just start looking for a tow truck..parts for my GM truck are readily available,can actually be installed by ME,not a 70 dollar an hour repair shop,and to me,that kind of peace of mind is worth WAY more to me than fancy stereos or air bags..

New technology is great,but if I'm stuck on the side of the road in rural Maine,I'd rather be filing points or replacing a fuel pump on the engine,not dropping the gas tank to do it,rather than trying to guess which module or sensor failed,or if its the computer or just a broken wire,etc..sometimes SIMPLE is better,and when it comes to cars and trucks,thats how I like them..OLD is better in that respect!..and will cost MUCH less to fix!..

And even NEW vehicles can breakdown!..
    :crazy:

6. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

my first truck was a dodge dakota 2wd and given to me. i netrual hopped it till i messed up the trans and it went to a jy. next was a 02 sport trac mama paid for everything on it b/c it was hers and she got a company vehicle. i drove the piss out of it and was gonna actually lift it some and put some 33s on it, but right before i did that the lock bolt for the cross pin went and the cross pin fugged up the R&P, carrier and, carrier bearings. so she bought a brand new 05 Ranger edge. i drove that for a year and the she wanted to sale it to me and i said no b/c i couldnt afford the payments and insurance. thats when i bought my K5 for 3500. i had no credit but state empoyees credit union took a chance on me. my payments are 116 a month and insurance is 220 a month(ive got a bad driving record, my right foot is a lil heavy it affect the way i walk sometimes). so if u bought it and pay for everything screw them. my mom was proud of me for buyin this but she hates it when i go to her house b/c ill wheel it and let the mud fall on the driveway.

7. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

i completely agree with NOTHING... lol

it is not so difficult to repair newer vehicles, just intimidating...

newer vehicles with their maze of electronics are also generally more reliable than an aged carburetor or points distributor...

then again, it comes down to the facts, who pays for what? if his parents are responsible for the costs then let them buy a new truck, if he's paying for it, it should be up to him to make the decision...

oh well, gotta go pick up cases of calendars.. ho ho ho...

8. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

i had a similar situation when i was 17. I payed for everything but the place i lived, so my parents said that do not want that piece of **** at my house. I just parked it at a friends house until i moved out, it was there for a year or so which wasnt too bad. I bought a different beater for a grand, and they were happy for some reason. They couldnt take it from me, or force me to get another vehicle, they said it just couldnt stay at their house anymore.

9. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Registered Member

I hear this same thing from my mother-in-law. I tell her to do the math. For what I spend in fuel, insurance, and maintenance every month is cheaper than a new truck payment. "If you REALLY want me to have a new vehicle, buy it for me..." This usually ends the discussion.

10. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

in see both sides, I did not drive my truck untill I was out of high school though, pretty much walked, took the bus or rode a bike to school..I can say I only drove myself to school maybe 15 times:(

but..I chose that

anyways with your situation, its not finacially smart or possible for most high schoolers to drive a new car, I flat out would not let my parents get me one, I hated the idea.

I say you sit down with them, go over what it is they do not like about the vehicle, factor in a new car cost, insurance etc..

if they do not like the paint/dents, well a cheap paint job can make it look a hel of a lot better, maint issues..alt/battery/starter..go get new ones with a warranty, if it breaks fix it on your own and dont trouble them with it.

rear axel on a 1/2 ton breaking? go get a six lug semi floater, tires? get some god ones with warranty

I dont think the problem is the truck so much, as maybe whata issue it might be, are you mad or complaining to them when it breaks? are you making it their problem too, either time or $$ wise? big oil leaks on the driveway?? loud motor and you drive up at 1 am on the weekend? playing stereo right in front of house? blocking the driveway all the time?? mess of parts around the house...

damn you would just almost think I have been there myself..;)

usually their are reasons to a problem I have learned..

11. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

ok heres how it works out...I pay for gas and insursance. they originally bought me the truck and new motor, i am now about 3/4 done paying off the truck. and i soon hope to start/finish the mtoro (bitch backed into my door causing 1100 damage...im gonna take th $ and pop out my door) theres almost all of my motor cost right there..

so as you can see ive paid for most of this **** myself. i truthfully can say that enjoy working on/fixing the truck almost as much as i do actually wheeling it. And i too also feel safer riding in it. maybe its not as shiny as the damn spoiled other kids but i am more proud of mine bc of what it was and now is. and not bc mommmy and daddy gave me the whole damn thing. LOL

ah well, i dont get it i come home from work and talk to them about it all they can say is..."we just want you to have a weekend where you can actually play instead of repair. I reply there almost the same amount of enjoyment to me..." they didnt realy say anything else:haha: :D

12. PhilS10HO

PhilS10HO Registered Member

Some people just don't get it., and if you have to explain it to them they never will. Both my mom and dad totally understand. My dad's into it too, and my mom knows it's about the only thing that makes me happy. The grandparetns will never get it though. I'll take my truck over a newer IFS rig any day.

Phil

13. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

wow dude this sounds like some people that talk to me...I told them that doing repairs and such is better than going out with 95% of my fellow high schoolers every night and getting drunk and being an ass.
    It keeps me busy, keeps my grades up b/c I'm not out every night, and gives you some sense of responsibility and pride that you take care of it.

I agree though...I pay for EVERYTHING on my truck...gas/insurance included but at the same time I'm 17, live at home and they pay for all of my other daily needs so if they said it has to go then it would have to go. That being said its not like they are saying you have to get rid of your wheels...they just want something newer and safer so keep that in mind.

-A

14. iwaxmyjimmy

i pay for rent utilites insurance truck payment gas and maintance so yall actually got it nice compared to me but i also work full time and am a full time student at night well about to be neway. and ur right it feel great paying for something yourself. right now ima go buy a new powersteering pump monday and i gotta order 4.88s and a loc-rite for the front to along w/ a 4inch el cheapo lift and and mount my 37 SSRs that are in my room so i know how yall feel about payin for stuff and i wish i still lived at home b/c thats almost $400 more a month for me to spend on my K5. do all the mods u can while at home b/c when umove out its alot harder unless u fine a great job and or have a degree. education is the key to alot of things and is something that cant be taken away from u.

15. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I know that there is some tech here somewhere.:whistle:

16. iwaxmyjimmy

i guess i was one of them aholes that go out and party, i still do that. oh well i still love working on my rig lol